Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vegasgardener

mucky vermicompost harvest-need advice please

VegasGardener
11 years ago

in my rubbermaid compost bin I ended up with a lot of castings, so I moved everything to one side, and put new material on the bare side. I have decided to harvest the castings. But now I am noticing(didn't realize this until removing it from the bin), that the castings are a bit mucky. I have read this can be common in plastic bins because they may retain moisture a bit too good. Anyways it does have an earthy smell so I don't think it's gone anaerobic, and the worms are still active. I was able to seperate the worms and put em back in the worm bin. My problem is I worry that the muck will dry to a very hard concrete. I am reading some people remove the casting much and let it sit and it will dry out and crumble, others say it will become concrete. Anyways I have followed one person's idea of laying it spread out on newspaper, for the paper to absorb extra moisture. and repeat on new paper until done. Here are two photos of it spread out on the newspaper. is this sufficient to get it to dry out some and be loose? thanks!

Here are some pics :

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia