Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenburn_gw

Worm Farms

Glenburn
10 years ago

This might not be the right forum for my question, if so can someone point me in the right direction please.
I have just started worm farming and have system called "can-o-worms". We have one level close to full and it is the one closest to where the juice goes, we would like to start the one above, could someone advise how this is achieved please,
Thanks in advance, David.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

Did the seller include no instructions with this $150 product? Perhaps the seller neglected to include them this one time. One would think the seller would have a vested interest in their product being successful. Is it possible to post a product comment at the sellers website asking for a copy of the instructions?

Many of us have read the entire archives here before spending any money. As a result of the knowledge gained many have built successful bins for free or $7.

The premise of the design of the can o worms seems backwards. Worms seem to like to travel down. I would add the new basket below.

I do not know what any sales fliers timeline claimed but the full basket may take a couple more months to become vermicompost.

If there is "juice" dripping you need more bedding.

Can you tell I am not thrilled with worm bin companies that do not give clear instructions to vermicomposters and leave them hanging without proper information?

• sbryce_gw
    10 years ago

Whatever you did to start the first tray, do that in the second tray, and set it on top of the first tray. If you got a block of coir with the COW, don't invest your money in more coir. If you are going to invest money at all, invest in a good paper shredder. Use it to shred cardboard. Dampen the shredded cardboard, and fill the second tray with it. Place that on top of the first tray. Then feed like you normally would in the upper tray.

• Glenburn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

equinoxequinox, Thanks for your reply, the set up came second hand, so no instructions, this is why the Q

sbryce, Thanks also for your reply.

So do worms want to travel Up or Down is the next part to the puzzle, I have 2 answers to my plight so I am unsure which way to go.
    Regards David.

• sbryce_gw
    10 years ago

Worms will travel whichever direction leads them to food. In nature, that is up. In a bin, it can be any direction at all. And not all of the worms will move. You will be surprised to find worms in a tray that appears to be nothing but castings.

Do yourself a favor and put the new tray on top. Otherwise, you will need to remove the full tray every time you want to feed your worms.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

Second hand is the best way.

"Do yourself a favor and put the new tray on top. Otherwise, you will need to remove the full tray every time you want to feed your worms." sbryce has got a point there.

• Glenburn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks you for the advice, will go that way, new one on top.

Regards David.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus