Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aindra

House Rabbit - recycling

Aindra
11 years ago

I plan to adopt a house rabbit soon or later - first time!

Initially I didn't think about it, but it just hits me that I can recycle the used litter for my worm bin.

It made me wonder what else I can recycle from the rabbit's used or old materials for the worm. It be noted: I have yet to purchase the rabbit equipment so it'll be good time to recommend specific ones that can work for both rabbits and worms, such as bedding. I'll also do some research on it.

If you have a house rabbit and worm bin, what advices you can offer? What to avoid, what to use? What are your experiences like?

Comments (5)

• Celbrise
    11 years ago

you can recycle it's bedding, poop, old water, food i believe too.

basically everything can be recycled. i don't own a rabbit but i own birds and i recycle everything that i just listed including it's eaten food which consists of the seed shells.

only thing i would concern myself with is the rabbit poop it MIGHT heat up so i recommend aging it first before putting in your worm bin.

• SequoiaRedWorms
    11 years ago

I've read that rabbit manure doesn't heat up due to its carbon:nitrogen ratio. A lot of people put a rabbit cage over their vermicompost bin and just let the manure drop in.

• mendopete
    11 years ago

No experience but I have researched it and I am considering raising rabbits.

Rabbit manure produces little heat. It can be given to worms fresh and is "worm candy". It can also be mixed directly into your soil or planters and will not cause burn.

What may cause problems would be urine-soaked bedding. This could add some heat if mixed in. It may also give off ammonia gasses. I do not know what kind of bin you have, it's size and whether it is indoors? If it is big enough and you put the bedding on top you may be ok. You may want to pre-compost it outside for awhile.

Good luck, Pete

• mr_yan
    11 years ago

I too have no experience with rabbits but have been reading about it as I want to start raising them. The limiting factor is I can't figure out where to put the hutches in my back yard.

Reading about rabbits was what introduced me to worms. One of the sites suggested worms as a way to reduce the rabbit waste. I don't think they were using bedding with their rabbits but just wire mesh floors.

I also read a book a while ago that really pushed the idea that rabbit pellets are about the best thing to mix directly into a garden - I think the book is "Small-Plot, High-Yield Gardening: How to Grow Like a Pro, Save Money, and Eat Well by Turning Your Back (or Front or Side) Yard Into An Organic Produce Garden" by Gilbertie and Sheehan. I may be wrong on the source as I had a bunch of garden books out from the library last winter.

If you're only thinking about getting the worms because of the rabbit it may end up being more of a project than you want. From my reading of your post I can't tell if you have a worm bin yet or not.

On another thread I think it was mendopete that said horse manure mixed with bedding will heat up a lot but he was adding fresh horse plops to his bins without problem. Could this be true of rabbit bedding too?

• Aindra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, my bad.

I do have a worm bin - a simple bin. I started it with a purpose of feeding my vegetable garden when I harvest. I didn't intend to adopt a rabbit back then.

It's good news about poo. Though not as much as for urine; I'll probably discard it. I'll start slow and observe its effects on my bin first though.

I saw some designs about placing a cage over a bin. I have problems with wire floor as it'll ruin rabbit's feet in long-term, so I won't do it. I'll just scoop and transfer.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus