Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

OK to use all chopped leaves for bedding?

weedlady
10 years ago

I have a leaf vac and was just outside sucking up very dry maple & locust leaves. The vac reduces the debris to corn-flake size.I know worms love leaves, but am wondering if I can use the leaves as-is (adding just some well water or distilled water that I have from the dehumidifier - in that case, how to determine quantity?) or if it would be better to mix the leaf bits with coir or peat (if so, what ratio?).

I assume I would I not have to worry about the leaves heating up as long as I have not added a N source -- right? So could I add worms right away since just leaves alone do not break down -- well, not very fast, anyway; I know the microorganisms already there would start in on them. I also have some very old horse manure (2-3 years old) I could mix in, but again -- how much & would I have to worry about it heating things up even if it IS old?
Thanks for any input!!

Comments (7)

• Priswell
    10 years ago

Leaves are a wonderful bedding for worms. They will be very happy. I'd set up the leaves with horse manure and let it sit for 2 weeks, then put the worms in.

But "just leaves" as bedding and regular additions of kitchen scraps will work too. You can add coir or other bedding types, if you have them, but they are not necessary.

In any case, you'll want the bedding "moist but not soggy".

• armoured
    10 years ago

I think leaves make great bedding, and you can certainly add worms direct. BUT: I'd wet and turn it a few times over a few weeks in case the pile heats up, before adding worms. My guess is a pile of shredded leaves that is wetted will heat up for a bit, but may depend what else is in there and how dried out the leaves were. Try it and see.

If you are adding on top of an existing worm camp, and that 'base camp' is large enough for the worms to stay in and retreat to in case of heat, shouldn't be a problem. They;ll move in when they are ready.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I used that before for Red Wigglers inside in a Rubbermaid tub and they thrived. About to try it again. I can't keep the newspaper shreds wet enough.

• armoured
    10 years ago

Worms definitely thrive in leaves - so it's only a question of how much to add at once to an existing vermisphere. If you're adding worms to the pile of leaves, best to let them sit a bit after wetting, and add worms cautiously at first. Once you've confirmed they like it, they'll love it.

• weedlady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, folks. I guess my main concern now is how to decide if I have the proper amount of moisture if I use just the leaves. I have had a good sense of moisture content in my bins until now since they are primarily peat with some shredded paper & cardboard mixed in -- so, more like soil.
    I do not like using shredded paper because it wads up in clumps. Leaves do not do that, and I am sure they will do well.
    I have 2 bins so I am hedging my bet: I have recently finished sorting out one bin and those worms are now in my usual mix. I have lots of worms in my 2nd bin, so have decided I am going to put down about a 2" layer of peat & little paper scraps to help absorb any excess water (of course, there also are holes in the bottom of the container) and then put the worms onto the leaves. I figure the leaves will act as mulch, keeping the moisture in the peat, while at the same time allowing the worms to choose the level of moisture they like. I'll check on them in, say, a week after the transfer to see where they might be.

The finished leaf compost that I get annually from our local municipal compost facility looks & smells like (and is as heavy as!) pure black dirt. It will be interesting to see if that's what I will end up with! Of course, I'll be adding coffee grounds & all sorts of kitchen veggie scraps, too, whereas the commercial compost is made only of leaves (at least so I am told; they also have a yard waste compost but I never get that).

• boreal_wormer
    10 years ago

I've used a mixture of chopped leaves and shredded newspaper in a RubberMaid bin. The only problem was the outdoor creatures that came with the leaves including slugs and slime mold. Neither were big problems but just something you should be aware of.

• weedlady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip, borealwormer, but I should be OK as these all were fresh, dry leaves that had fallen in the last day or so and had been raked into a pile for the neighbor's little grandson to romp in. Neither of the things you mention are likely to be there (well, spores, maybe), and anyway, I know a certain number of bacteria and microorganisms are certain to be present but are a vital part of the mix, so those little buggers are welcome! LOL