Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (12)

• sbryce_gw
    11 years ago

What I don't like is the number and the types of ads. The ads almost make the site unusable. Ads that pop up and hide the text you are trying to read. Ads that move the text as you are trying to click on a link. I understand that you need the revenue, but if you chase away your users by making the site difficult to use, it will not improve your revenues.

• GreenIvy
    11 years ago

Sbryce,
    I can't deal with the adverts either, especially on my laptop.

If you're using firefox there is an addon called 'Noscript' which lets you have a huge amount of control over flash and java. You can preset and change on the fly. Most of the ads are scripted and running this tiny addon will remove them.

The Chrome equivalent is NotScript or Scriptno.

These programs also vastly reduce your chance of getting malware from the 'net.

hth
    Ivy

• Celbrise
    11 years ago

better search engine.

since i joined i tried searching up answers using the built in search engine and found it extremely difficult to use so i ended up asking the question instead and i mean these questions were so simple im sure their were some answers on here but just couldn't find them. thus causing me to spam the section which everyone hates even me as no one likes spam.

i often used google instead and found old links to the questions that way but i mean this site has a built ins earch engine i should be able to use it with ease instead of google.

sometimes ads block my way and when i scroll down it scrolls back up automatically to the ad or it just pops up in my face when i try clicking something. if you are going to have ads i would like them to be on the sides not popping up in my face and causing problems while i try to read. right now i only see 2 ads on the side with a bunch of space inbetween

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

Somehow some posters seem to post so their post runs way over the right side of the page and to read it one has to take the bottom bar and go back and forth from side to side. So posts that do not take all the posts and make them waaaay to wide would be good.

sbrice: Google around a bit and see if changing a setting or something free will get rid of that. They may be called popups. It is possible something you downloaded as a "service" to you takes some words and makes them clickable to ads. When on vacation try reading the site from the hotel computer. Do the advertisements disappear? A library computer too starts each patron with a fresh computer set up. This will let you know if you are seeing the page the same as others are seeing it. Or try a new browser if you are using IE Internet Explorer try Mozilla Foxfire or better yet Google Chrome. I use all three for different things.

• wrcaz
    11 years ago

Add something to a users profile that allows you to link to all their previous posts. This way if you read a post from someone that you think is especially knowledgable you can delve into their old stuff much easier.
    Reformat the appearance of the Search within the individual forums. As I started using the search function I kept getting confused because after clicking the link the prominent feature was the "Post a Message to teh Forum" with the Search field hiding at the top of the page

• mendopete
    11 years ago

Pop-up advertisement is TERRIBLE! Hate it.

Better search

I like the idea of linking previous posts as stated above.

How about the ability to send a personal message to other Garden Web members.

• boreal_wormer
    11 years ago

Allow more than one clickable hot link per post.

• sbryce_gw
    11 years ago

Now when I click a link to a post, a new browser window pops up with an ad in it. Every time I click a link on this site, I need to close a browser window with advertising in it. I used to do computer based training development. We called this sort of thing "punishing the user." You have made this site unusable. Cut back on the ads, or lose your users. I may be done here.

• JerilynnC
    11 years ago

>>Somehow some posters seem to post so their post runs way over the right side of the page and to read it one has to take the bottom bar and go back and forth from side to side. So posts that do not take all the posts and make them waaaay to wide would be good.>>

Odd, what browser are you guys using? I use chrome and it's all on one page (no bottom bar sliding) and the ads are out of the way on the right hand side.
    And I just tried it with firefox with the adblock plus add-on and its the same page layout and NO ads at all.

Someone please do me a favor please and try it on your computer with firefox & adblock plus and see if it works for you too.

• JerilynnC
    11 years ago

Oh and to answer Tamara's original question, it would be nice to somehow be able to quote part of the post one is responding to so it's more clear what the answer refers to.

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

JerilynnC: It might be because I use Control + to make the text size large, larger, largest. :-) Some web sights automatically adjust the page instead of just making the page bigger than fits onto the screen.

gwAnnouncements: post editing. That will be handy. Now if I post something that upon rereading looks more rude, crude, mean, stupid, arrogant, than I intended, or is a company secret, or that which will sink the ship I can reconsider, wise up, have more heart, more compassion, and correct incorrect information. Or not. I was sort of getting used to that feeling of "hit the send button" followed immediately by "Oh, No! What did I do!" And that is just on the vermicomposting pages.

Edit:

... Testing out the new Edit feature. Could you design one for real life?

This post was edited by equinoxequinox on Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 0:27

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional