Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foofght

New to Vermicomposting - Bin design

foofght
9 years ago

I'm fascinated by vermicomposting and have purchased 3 Rubbermaid bins to create a stackable worm bin. There are lots of references and instructions online that I've read about this DIY design, but I had some questions I was hoping some here might be able to answer.

Many designs (including the WF 360) have upper bins sit directly on top of the food scraps/composting material in the bin below.

1. Do worms escape around the small gap around the sides of the bin where the two bins mate?

2. Rather than stacking the upper bin directly on top of the lower bin's materials, couldn't i just use a lid with holes for the lower bin where the worms can migrate through to the upper bin? Seems this would alleviate escapee worms from question #1.

3. If I did this lid-based design, could worm actually climb up the sides of the bin, upside across the lid, and through the lid holes into the upper bin? I don't see why not, but I don't see many people utilizing the design style.

Anyway, I'm excited to get started!

Comments (4)

• sbryce_gw
    9 years ago

Ah, this discussion again! No, the worms won't escape. Why would they? Do you really think they will like drying out on your floor more than living in the near utopian environment you provide for them in the bin? A few intrepid souls will decide to do some exploring, but that will happen in any setup. So don't do your lid with holes. You will just make migrating up harder for the worms. Some will attempt the climb, but most won't bother. They will have no way of knowing what they are climbing into. If the upper bin sits directly on top of the bedding in the lower bin, the worms won't even be aware that there are two bins, one stacked up on top of the other. It will be our little secret.

Worms don't really understand how these bin systems work. They just go where the food is. Don't make things difficult for them.

• HIFromCA
    9 years ago

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but the stacking bins rely in part on the fact that you create an environment that worms want to live in. They are happy with where they live, just less food available in this level. Thus the migration, to an even better environment above.

If the worms want nothing more than to escape your system, they'll find a way, or die trying.

Your matching holes is used by people, I'm sure with as much or little success as they put effort into their climate/feeding. No reason it wouldn't work, just is more effort than plopping the new bin on top of the old, for little reason, IMO.

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

My thoughts are no worms wont try to escape not to say some might get lost and maybe get wedged in the gap. Basically they will stay where the food is but dont fret because you might see a couple worms on the floor in the morning, it happens.

There are a couple of issues though- aeration and moisture - especially if you have a plastic bin which will sweat and if you lock a lid on will make it worse. So those are issues which will need addressing otherwise you will see worms trying to escape. If you have a lid on a plastic setup leave a gap about 1" so moisture can escape or remove lid and cover with a burlap sack, just a thought.

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

The most unnecessary fear new wormers have is that the wormies are all gonna evacuate the bin in a stampede.

Truth is, unless the environment of the bin is unsatisfactory because of heat, or strangeness, or fleeing the dreaded vermivampires that occasionally slink into a worm squirm after being bitten by one of those devil-mites, they ain't gonna leave the palace you've created for them. It ain't a prison.

HOLES:

None in the lids.

Not nearly as many around the sides of the bin as most you see have. I have plastic bins with zero holes except for the 3 ((one on each side by the handles, the big one when the lid is off, and....THE 2 ON THE BOTTOM FOR DRAINAGE (drilled in the corners of ONLY ONE END so you can, if necessary, tilt the holes down for drainage or up to retain moisture))

Don't:

overfeed, over-moisturize, over-dote. This is the Moderation part.

feed excessive acidic stuff, or any salt, fat, Buffalo Wild Wings, fast food....you know, stuff we humans shouldn't eat. Feed diverse stuff (they get bored down there eating the same old crap). This is the Diversity part.

have too high expectations. Nature is what we're dealing with here and Mother Nature ain't in no hurry. This is the Patience part.

To summarize: R-E-L-A-X, relax. (If anyone on the forum can tell me where my relax reference originated, please provide the answer in a courteous reply.)

chuckiebtoo

Moderation, Diversity, Patience, Packer Pride

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner