Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got some, now what do I do with it?

Posted by chilipete SC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 6, 09 at 16:44

Hey,

A year ago I started my first worm bin. I think its ready to harvest now. I used a rubbermaid plastic bin, I think 13 gallons, which is about 1/3 full of worm compost. I wasn't sure what to do with it now. I started it because my garden has horrible soil. One area I use as a small rose garden. The other main area I use as a butterfly garden, which I plant mainly annuals. My garden is just about done for the year - the annuals are dying off and the roses are going to start shutting down for the winter.

There are 3 options I can think of:

1)Save it until the spring. If I put out the compost now, will it be "gone" by the spring when I really want the soil to be nice and fertile?

2) Put it around the roses. If I do this, how much should I put around each rose to make a difference and really enrich the soil?

3) Spread it around the butterfly garden area. If I do this, how deep a layer should I put? Also is it enough to just spread it or should I somehow dig I hole or something?

Any advice would be appreciated. It took a year to get this stuff, I would hate to waste it by doing something stupid like spreading it too thin or putting it down now when I should have waited until next spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got some, now what do I do with it?

You can save the compost until spring without any loss of viability. Just keep it warm and damp in a ventilated container, an old worm bin would be perfect.

In addition to storing the compost you will be able to save the baby worms as they hatch out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here