Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worm Farming questions

Posted by daman1974 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 12, 09 at 17:43

okay so I have a worm bin in my house. I should have another one showing up this week.
But if I wanted to move the worms outside like to my greenhouse or something...do I need to put plastic down so they don't scurry off? I have a big horse manure pile that they can live in but I don't want them to take off.
Also, I am wondering about how cold they can get. I live in Oregon and the winters can really cool down. Can they live in the harsher environments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worm Farming questions

Worms will stay in their bin if the conditions are right. One exception is Euros. They just seem to want to wander.

If the worms get into your horse manure pile they will stay there. You won't have to worry about them taking off. If fact if you want them back you would have to dig them out.

Worms slow down and nearly stop eating around 50F but they will still eat slowly down in the 40's. If the worms are in a BIG manure pile there will probably be a safe zone for the worms in the pile all winter long.

In a small outside bin the worms would have a harder time. They could get too cold and freeze. But, any cocoons that they have laid will hatch out in the spring restarting the bin. But if you do have them in a warm greenhouse they should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here