Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
computergardener

Time it takes to add second tray... Worm Factory

computergardener
15 years ago

Hi all --

More of a tip for users of worm factory's / COWs then a question.

I added my second tray today to my worm factory. I added 1 lbs worms on Aug 30 so it has been roughly 60 days. The first tray is 75-85% casting, with a little food left over from last week. I added the second tray because I was starting to get worms climbing to the top. I didn't think the Factory was ready for a second tray but when I added the second tray I noticed it did not lay flat. As a mattor of fact their was a large quarter to half inch gap.

I took out casting, worms, and bedding from top of the first tray and added it to the second. I also went out to my natural area and added an 1" layer of leaves, a few scoops of finished screened compost and a few scoops of unfinished compost. Finally, I pour 16 oz of rain water on the second try to moisten it.

I had hesitated to add a second tray because I read there needed to be good contact for the worms to travel north. Well, there is no need to worry about the second bin contacting the first. If anything I think the second is pushing down too hard on the first.

At this point, I am going to wait at least a week before I add more food to see if the first bin settles more and to see if my little pets climb up on their own.

Just thought I would share .... John

Comments (7)

• dwalt
    15 years ago

Why the rush to add a second tray? To my line of thinking if you add a second tray and worms migrate up to it then it will only slow down the processing of the first tray if it isn't finished.

• fosteem1
    15 years ago

I only had stacking rubbermaid bins. But, I found it helps the upward migration to wait until the lower bin is too full then skim off the top of the bottom tray to just below the shredded paper level, putting it all into the bottom of the new tray. You get some microbes and worms in the bedding to inoculate the new tray and worms find it more appealing. So they start moving into it a lot quicker.

• fosteem1
    15 years ago

Dwalt,
    When you add the second tray all the worms don't migrate in mass. In fact you are lucky if they move at all for a while. And then it only seems to be the adventurous ones or some of the big ones. All the little worms stay behind. The baby's seem to stay put not crawling more than a inch or so from their hatching place until they are around an inch long.

When i was harvesting my stacking bins the bottom bin seemed to have just as many worms by volume as the top bin. Only the worms were all under an inch and a half long. Most of them were under an inch, all hatchlings from egg cases left behind by the older worms.

Picking all those baby's out is what finally convinced me to go with a flow through. I sound like a flow through expert. I am not I'm a newbie at it. Only just having set it up.

I was harvesting early because stacking Rubbermaid type bins put a lot of weight on the bottom bin squishing the compost out the bottom holes. Not a problem with the worm factory or cows. They have little stops that keep it from happening.

After i started the flow through up i came accost a blog that told of a wormer that drilled holes large enough to insert corks into the bottom of the bins that is supposed to work like the stops on the WF and COWS. Ah well.

• computergardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

An update on my original post...

I think I underestimated how 'done' my first tray was. As I mentioned I added no food scraps to the top layer just an 1" layer of leaves, a few scoops of finished screened compost and a few scoops of unfinished compost.

Well, I just checked today and WOW. I was shocked at the number of worms which had already moved to the second tray. As stated above they were large worms in comparison to the other worms in my tray. Even more surprising is when I lifted the second tray up, I saw dozens of worm bottoms sticking out of the tray as they made their move on up.

For now though I am going to just add food to the second tray and let anyone in the bottom tray continue to process.

Good luck to everyone else...

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

Ok this is an old thread but it needs reviving as more and more people are getting into worm farming , vermicomposting or whatever you wish to call it. Presently I have a couple different types of worm bins the worm factory 360 and a homemade plastic triple tier setup. On the 360 Im currently using 3 trays plus another tray on top with just shredded paper to help deter gnats. Im also considering adding a fourth tray though havent mad that move as yet. But I am finding that the bottom tray/harvest tray no matter when I take it always has a few worms in it. Another reason Im thinking of adding a 4th tray is it seems the worms are going thru the food faster and faster. In the beginning I starting with about 1000-1500 red wigglers but now it is quite obvious those numbers have multiplied substantially and I could take a harvest about every month, but the idea is to leave it longer so the worms can and will produce more dark humus but if the bottom harvest tray contains very few worms I would better off to just take it , just my thoughts.

• 11otis
    9 years ago

My thoughts are along with yours. By storing the vermicompost in a separate/holding container (not a worm bin), my VC did get darker and crumbly. I suspect that the clumps that were "pasty" contained more unfinished organic material and by "aging" it, MO continued doing their composting job. Hence I call it vermicompost and not vermicasting.
    Had you left the worms in there, hoping for them to "finish" the process, they would be hard pressed finding food w/o directions.