Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starbucks coffee and the worm bin!

Posted by hummersteve 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 18:08

Ive only been VC composting since april of this year. Things are going pretty well but I was wondering how everyone feels about adding SB grounds and how much and how often to add. I use 9gal plastic tubs 24x17x7". I also like to run all my food scraps mainly veggie and fruit thru my juicer and give them the pulp and they go thru it that way pretty quickly. I also add crushed egg shells, corn meal and watermelon rinds which they seem to love.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starbucks coffee and the worm bin!

Coffee grounds are OK, but like everything else, you can over do them. They tend to do better after they have aged long enough to develop a white fungus on them. You can be pretty generous with them, as long as you are also feeding other things. I would mix them with the other food scraps, up to 1/2 of the mixture being coffee grounds, and see how the worms respond.

o

I agree with sbryce that you should let the coffee grounds get really moldy first before adding them to your bin. I have noticed that even in relatively low amounts, coffee grounds begin to drive worms out of the culture. This behavior persisted for 6 days till I added a layer of horse manure and sifted compost to the surface. I suspect the raw grounds are very acidic and mold action neutralizes the pH.

I no longer add raw grounds or kitchen waste directly to my worms. The risk of upsetting the system is too great. Now, I choose instead to add grounds/kitchen waste to my compost pile first. Then, later adding sifted compost to the worms.

o

"I no longer add raw grounds or kitchen waste directly to my worms. The risk of upsetting the system is too great. Now, I choose instead to add grounds/kitchen waste to my compost pile first. Then, later adding sifted compost to the worms." You may have a point there. We may all be trying to do something that should not be done. The big operators grind and sprinkle a layer that probably includes more bedding. Does anybody know how often a new sprinkle is added and how deep it is? Or how deep the bed already is?

o

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have read that most of the acidic nature of used grounds is already out in use by humans. I have added starbucks plus my daily home brewed grounds without any effects noticable. I will add that I do add crushed egg shells on a fairly regular schedule as I use them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here