Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjames_gw

How to start with cocoons.

pjames
13 years ago

Like many of you, I have mailed cocoons to newbies who want to get into vermicomposting with a minimum of expense. Several have asked me.."I have read about worms but what is YOUR recommendations of how to proceed?"

I want to open this thread to let others chime in before I do. I know some have been very successful with the cocoons I sent them. I would like to hear from them and others concerning how they are doing/what they tried.

Personally, I feel that any endeavor started on a small scale should be observed closely. In the case of worms, they should be kept indoors and in a place they can be looked at periodically. I'd like to hear comments.

Comments (12)

• plumiebear
    13 years ago

Here's how I set up my cocoon incubator. You have to read through some of the comments to see that I quickly transferred them from a larger container to a quart mason jar with cloth for a lid. I keep this indoors where the temps are 65-75F (and cooling) this time of year. I've been able to keep the bedding material (coir & VC) very damp without drowning the worms.

I kept only one piece of apple and added 3-4 rabbit pellets/poop when I put everything into the quart jar. I saw the first baby worms at the 25 day mark, but they probably hatched a few days before. It's hard to tell how many have hatched, but I'm guessing 15-25 babies.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• eaglesgarden
    13 years ago

Good information Andrew.

BTW, looking at the link you provided - my guess on the temperature paradox is this:

At the lower temps you get MORE WORM BABIES per cocoon. But, at the higher temps, less worms are produced per cocoon, but cocoons are produced at a higher rate. The germination period seems longer for the higher temps though (150 days, as referenced), so there is a trade-off (vs. 100 days at the lower temp). Ultimately, I don't think there really is a better option. Either side has a benefit. More cocoons with less worms, or less cocoons with more worms - it might actually wash out over the long haul. My recommendation based on this information and an understanding of statistical analysis (but not worms, specifically) would be to not add extra energy to the system. It seems to ultimately not provide any added benefit, and would only serve to raise your energy bill. As long as your temps stay between the referenced 60-75 degrees F, it should all wash out after a few generations.

So, I am anticipating a shipment of cocoons for educational purposes from pjames, and I can't wait for the adventure to begin...although, apparently I am going to have to wait about a month to actually see worms! Halloween is as good a time as any to have the worms ready to go!

I will have to look through my germinating containers to find a nice small plastic container that I can use to put the cocoons in for a while. I also just remembered that I have some bruised apples from the produce store that should be perfect to lure the worms out of their cocoons. I'll just give them a nice fine chop and add a few pieces to the worms, and the rest go to the compost heap. My outdoor compost heap is expanding this weekend, as the lawn needs mowing and the leaves just happen to have fallen on the lawn - nothing like a near perfect mix of C-N without any extra work!

• plumiebear
    13 years ago

EG: I'll stick with the heat-free setup. It will get a bit cooler in the winter months, but still within the 55-65F range, which happens to be the stated optimal range for EHs.

How big is your outdoor compost pile? Does the core freeze in the winter? I forget if I'd suggested before that you throw in a couple of worms or cocoons in the middle of the pile and see what you find next spring. My outdoor compost bins are full of EFs. I'm going to throw in a few EEs and eventually some EHs and see how they fare "in the wild".

Andrew

• eaglesgarden
    13 years ago

This will be the first winter with an "active" compost pile (I don't actually know how active it will be this winter. In the past I've actually just spread it out over my garden in the late fall. This year I have significantly more, and it won't be ready by the time the first freeze hits. So, I'll just leave it over the winter and see if it is ready to go come April or so.) My compost pile (actually I have two chicken wire bins next to each other (touching, so that might actually constitute only *one* pile) is about 4-5 feet long, 3 feet wide, and roughly 3 feet tall right now. I expect that the height will be reduced by the time winter hits. I could just combine the two piles at that time to help hold the heat a little better.

I think I will try putting worms in the pile next winter. This year, I have enough *new* stuff going on!

• ozzz
    13 years ago

Got the cocoons in James .... thanks a ton Im going to put them in a mason jar as per above and Ill update this thread with their progress.

Thanks again!

• pjames
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ozzz, I sent you and Eaglesgarden cocoons from my mixed bin since neither of you specified a preference. I have no idea how many EH's might be in the mix but you guys might look for a few larger worms. If you see some, you might have a start on a colony with another species.

• eaglesgarden
    13 years ago

Thanks pjames!

I will keep a look out for the different species. A coworker has an empty worm bin, so we might just separate the worms by species (as best we can) and then have two distinctly different worm bins.

Again, thank you... Updates will be coming in the future.

• ozzz
    13 years ago

Thats perfect, I would rather have a mixed bin anyway ;)

For the record, I took a quart mason jar, added some ammended soil that I have cooking for an upcoming grow (recycled soil ammended with tomato tone, lime, rabbit poo and fine pine bark). To that I added a little chopped cardboard, some paper towels, then the cocoons, a few more paper towels and a few small pieces of kiwi skins - with a final layer of paper towels on top.

I misted in layers as I was putting everything in.

Then I took the metal lid and took the ring, took a paper towel and folded it in half, then screwed it on the jar for ventilation. The paper towels are holding in moisture well but does allow ventillation.

Ill keep everyone updated... I probably wont check on them for a month or so. I put it in a cool, dark area.

• eaglesgarden
    13 years ago

The cocoons sent to me are in an insectarium, with a base of some old peat I found that used to be bedding for a snake we had once upon a time (about 3 years ago). I added some shredded cardboard, a little shredded newspaper and finally a coffee filter with a piece of old banana, nicely smashed.

These get a lot of darkness - about 22 hours a day, with intermittent fluorescent lighting (from the ceiling). I will check on these guys periodically - probably twice a week, just to see when they are ready to go.

• plumiebear
    13 years ago

"I probably wont check on them for a month or so..."
    ozzz, good luck with that. :-) That was also my intention, but I couldn't help checking once every few days. As it turned out, the cocoons started hatching in about 3 weeks. These EH grow fast and are now very fat for their length (over 2"). No way to get a photo of them because they are quick to react to light. I can barely see the beginnings of the striping pattern.

"The cocoons sent to me are in an insectarium..."
    EG: Good idea! You're going to have fun watching the worms once they're big enough to see easily. The kids should love it.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• rfonte649
    13 years ago

Thanks James received the cocoons today, put them a mason jar with cloth lid and some wet paper and horse crap. Will let u know when something happens. Bob F.

• pjames
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hope the 'horse crap' is neither too much nor too fresh. Composted manure is what you need. Good luck on the new hobby. I'm glad to give you a boost.
    Pat