Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1000 worms=half pound garbage/day?

Posted by greenthumbzdude (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 18:57

So I read on a couple of sites that 1000 worms will consume about a half pound of waste per day...does this seem accurate with what you have been experiencing? 1 month of vermicomposting via 1000 worms equals the consumption of about 15 pounds of waste. 1 year=180lbs waste.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1000 worms=half pound garbage/day?

Nope..

o

I have 2 stacked bins - I 'guess' approx 5000 worms total. I feed them about 1/2 lb of veggies mixed with newspaper about once a week. They are thriving and multiplying

Mike

o

The 1000 worms is the starter culture similar to the tiny packet of yeast that can eventually grow to make a million loaves of bread.

Like MHERRON2213 who posted while I was signing in to reply... I guess the 1000 worms will eventually multiply into 5000 or more worms that will eventually eat "about 1/2 lb of veggies mixed with (bedding) about once a week."

Possibly in a professionally managed bin system where ground up composted horse manure is sprinkled over the by machine twice daily down a long row of bin some of the really great numbers of decomposition will happen. This is in a temperature controlled room with perfect moisture.

Luckily not only are the worms eating but other things in the bin are too and they help a bit.

o

I think it is a rumor some worm farmer got started. I think maybe they will go through about 1/2 and up to their body weight in material. That material being what they are feeding on at the time which includes the bedding material. Its a puzzler for sure but let common sense be your guide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here