Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horse manure

Posted by machinist17 5a (ryan@jacoworks.com) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 19:42

Can I use fresh horse manure as bedding for my bin, or does it need to be aged?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horse manure

fresh will heat up initially. After it heats and returns to a cooler state it should be fine. I wouldn't consider it as bedding though but I have no experience with manure as I have indoor bins.

I have read about some people keeping bins in cold garages and using fresh manure (and the associated microbial heating) to keep the bin warm during the winter months.

o

no. horse manure will heat up and kill your worms. age it a bit and then use as bedding. they will also eat the manure so it will act as both bedding+food.

o

Our family has had a horse for a few years now. we just traded a LARGE harse for a small horse. My worms are not happy at all, as their daily food supply went from about 70lbs to 40 lbs. I expect a dieback soon.

We have had 4 different horses and not all horse manure is the same. It depends on the horse and its diet. Also, pure manure is quite different than manure that is mixed with stall bedding, pellets, straw, and hay. Pure manure produces little heat, but mix it with high carbon stall beddings and it will get real hot. Maybe a plus in cold outdoor wormbeds.

I have 2 big outdoor windrow-type worm beds, with about 220 sq. ft. of surface space. They are covered by old carpets. Contrary to what is often written, I feed only fresh manure (less than 24 hours old). By using it fresh before it dries out, I don't need to wet it. Dried out horse manure is hard to re-wet. I have been rotating feeding areas so they get a fresh layer of food every 10 days. By that time it is black and not recognizable. No smell and no flies. My worms LOVE it!

I must warn you I live about 2 miles from the ocean and rarely gets over 80F.

o

He says it has rice hulls and wood shavings in it. I live near the ocean and it normally stays between 50 and 80. I guess I'll have to age ut myself. Do I just wait until it cools down?

o

For a small wormbin you can use it without pre-composting in small amounts. Try a few handfuls on top in a corner and observe. It usually takes some mass to cause heating.A little heat on top is ok anyway.

To compost it, wet it if needed and put it into a large pile, at least 3'x3'. It should heat up quick and then cool down in a few weeks. You can then use all you want.

You will need to add nothing else unless you wish to. Both bedding and food, horse manure is the perfect worm habitat that those guys selling worms use! Having an ample supply of horse manure will make you a successful worm farmer.

If I were a machinist, I would build a wonderful flow-through with a harvest bar/knife! All stainless. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here