Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foxtailskies

New worm bin, worms crawling on the sides- settling in period?

foxtailskies
14 years ago

Hello :)

I just set up my first worm bin today, and have noticed (~7hrs later) that some worms are crawling on the sides and on the lid. There were only about 4-5 on the sides out of 1/2lb of worms, but I've read this could be a sign that they're unhappy. Should I be worried about my conditions already, or could the worms just be unhappy that they're in a new environment? Or do a few routinely wander up the sides? Do they need time to adjust before I become really concerned?

My setup was made based on my local extension office's instructions. It's a large styrofoam cooler with about 15 pencil-sized air holes around the sides and maybe 9 in the bottom. There is a piece of screening over the bottom holes to keep the worms in. Bedding is damp shredded newsprint with a bit of outside dirt and whatever bedding the worms came in. For food, I put in one chopped up carrot top (about 3/4" of the root, no leaves) to start. The box is located just outside my kitchen door in a kind of enclosed entryway- not heated or cooled, but the temp outside right now is around 55 degrees and it's probably a touch warmer where they are.

Thanks for any advice!!! I really hope my little experiment works out :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH