Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

Fun With Microbes

equinoxequinox
9 years ago

barbararose21101

"Cyclone is a lacto-fermented liquid fungicide and bactericide for aide in the suppression of powdery mildew on greenhouse cucumbers, bacterial cankers on greenhouse tomatoes, powdery mildew and black spots on greenhouse roses."

"Tivano is a lacto-fermented liquid fungicide and bactericide for suppression of powdery mildew on squashes and pumpkins, strawberries, and roses; downy mildew on grapes; black spot on roses; bacterial canker on tomatoes; and angular leaf spot on strawberries."

Lacto-fermented liquid is what one gets when cabbage is sliced up, sprinkled with a tiny bit salt and put in an airtight jar. Sauerkraut juice! Try it in a jar with a wire bale close top. Leave closed for 8 weeks on the counter. I just know you will love it.

Comments (7)

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

Did do that a couple of years ago -- with red cabbage. Made pink sauerkraut.

So spray the juice on roses ?

I appreciate the suggestion. As a mildew preventative/protection that would be more work than AVCT.

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

Ya'll need to take those cabbage tea recipes over to one of those Ukrainian cooking shows on Oprah's network.......just saying.

We're having enough problems with AVCT apparently.

cb2

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There was a guy who put food grade bamboo biochar into his ferment. Real interesting I think. Relevant because the wee beasties are what make both vermicomposting and sauerkraut work. Sauerkraut is anerobic,or at least lacto bactria grow best anerobically, while vermicompost tea is highly aerobic. If we try fermenting vermicompost doesn't it usually end up stinking? What if we used a starter? Isn't that then bokashi? Vermicompost bokashi... with biochar? That ends up being one of those cow horn bury comfrey in the ground over the winter bio dynamic preparation 500 or 501 or 51 or H or something? We could have worms knitting blue jeans for aliens with non itchy butts. Talk about multitasking. Since worms need air we would need to bokashi the food first. In a sealed jar it would solve that fruit fly issue.

I like worms way better than tropical fish because if I forget to go down cellar daily to turn on or off their light and feed the I do not feel guilty. I get just as much joy out of them. The fish never handled kitchen waste or paper waste feeding my garden. Go Worms!

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

A neighbor gave me a 15 gallon aquarium with platys.
    I murdered some fry: threw them in the grass, leaving 9 platys which, after two months, seem relatively content.
    No more fry ! I know this seems not about worms, but it does add diversity so: Patience. So no fry suggests its all females there. Good. Don't want any extra fry. Turns out I can siphon the fish excrement right into a gallon jug and use it to water plants ! And I can pump fresh water back by squeezing the siphon bulb. OK and here's how I justify writing this here: I can feed potworms from the worm bin to the platys.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In this murder mystery I immediately suspected the often advised yet weirdly risky 10% water change with a water siphon in the fish tank. Platys can store sperm. But after two months maybe they didn't.

Platys with their stomachs full of pot worms are happy platys. I bet their previous owner did not treat them this well.

The gallon of fish tank water would be an excellent choice to dump a cup of vermicompost and an airline into. Just sayin. :-)

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

Hmm.
    Good Idea !

Just the thing.
    Is a cup enough ?

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know but I e-mailed you a few.