Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worm Breeding Calculator

Posted by marauder01 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 23, 09 at 22:52

Hi all.

I'm slowly trying to move towards increasing my herd to cover my family's waste needs, and also giving away as many worms to friends as I can (ie if I started with 1000, how long would it take before I could give away 1000 per week indefinately?).

Anyway, I have made a little excel spreadsheet to try and calculate just how fast a population could grow. Yes I can hear you now saying "...but there are many factors involved....yada..yada..." lol. True, but you have to start somewhere.

My VERY conservative assumptions are these:
-20 week life cycle (ie cocoon to sexual maturity)
-Each adult lays 1 cocoon per week
-Each cocoon hatches 2 reds in 10 weeks time (70 days)
-Adults live several years in good conditions

I have also added input boxes for starting number, and weekly loses (ie start with 100 mature worms, lose 10% per week, etc)

Guess how many you'd get in a year? lol

What do you think of my assumptions? Are they reasonable (given fair conditions, food and space)?

Since I can't post a file here, if you'd like a copy, post here and I'll try and email it to you.

Cheers

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worm Breeding Calculator

thank you for posting! I would like a copy of your calculator very much indeed. You can send it to me c/o
reikisat@hotmail.com

I am starting with about forty to fifty worms, of which I had about 15 adults and the rest were small ones. I have been wondering how long it would take to get enough to start a second ten gallon bin? we need enough worms for about 1 lb to 2 lbs of kitchen waste a week. Right now I am placing about a tablespoon of food in there, once a week!

Thanks!
Gina

o

I know! It seems to be soooo slow at the start. I had a similar experience with mine too. I got impatient in the end and bought another 4000 to boot things along.

I'll send the calc soonest, but remember, the numbers out of it are theoretical (but possible).

It will be interesting to trial a bin and compare it to the calc. I will start a new tote next week (already seasoning one now) with say 50 little fellas and see how it builds across time. Not exactly a clinical trial, but it will server my purpose, and let me modify my expectations (and the calc) to suit me and the way I run a wormery.

Fun stuff ahead! LOL

o

I also would like a copy of your worm breeding cacluator spread sheet. thankyou

o

No probs, it's in the mail.

I have also added a weight calc (based on 1000 per lb) and you can now enter the number of young per cocoon.

I have also timelined it a bit, so you can enter a start date (past present or future) and it'll tell you when you have how many.

Next, I'll add moon phases and tides.

Jay

o

Hi Marauder01

I would appreciate a copy of your worm calculator too!

Email: dtchenvmn@sbcglobal.net
Thank you!
Mike

o

me too please, I love calculators. epwicklu@yahoo.com

o

Here you go guys.

I'll be interested to see how close I can tune it for my own herd management.

Cheers
Jay

o

Hello jay I would also like a copy of your worm breeding calculator because counting by hand is a REAL bore. =^..^=

My email address is happyhippie@i-love-cats.com

Thank you jay

HappyHappie =^..^=

o

no probs!

o

please send me a copy of your calc. that would be very helpful. C/O gwknivesinc@yahoo.com

o

Here ya go.

It will never be 100% accurate, but it gives you a ball park idea of how the breeding process works.

Cheers

o

could you send me the calculator too thanks Ken
ken28714@hotmail.com

o

You are a popular guy! I'd like your calculator, too. bcdorsey63@gmail.com
Thanks
cd

o

I'd like a copy too please.

rythm_guru@yahoo.ca

o

Pleae sent me a copy.
kadmol@comcast.net
Thanks and happy worming

o

Jay~ by any chance are EF's on the 5 week cycle? It would certainly explain the explosion of worms in my bin these past two weeks.

Thanks,
Gina

o

Yeah, I think you are right Gina. I based the calcs on 10 weeks to be conservative, but am now convinced the time is actually shorter (maybe 5-7 weeks).

One other nice thing is now you can predict when the population will boom, and feed / divide accordingly!

Kewl stuff.

PS Remember, when you talk life cycle, it's birth (ie cocoon layed) right up to laying a cocoon itself. So for eg. cocoon takes 4 - 8 week to hatch, baby to adult(breeder) another 6 - 8 weeks, cocoon layed. So total life cycle would be between 14-18 weeks (IMHO)

o

May I have a copy to randomz47 at yahoo.com

Thanks!

o

wow! impressive!

jay, can i have a copy?

thanks,

yu

o

If and when my wife ever sees this worm calculator sitting around the house, she'll know I've really gone off the deep end. If the offer still stands kindly email a copy to: startpackin@gmail.com

o

I would appreciate to get this calculator too here
elajeunesse @ lombricompostage.org

Thanks!!

o

Hi All,

Sent OK.

ikanyu, gonna need an address to send it to if you still are interested.

Cheers

o

You don't do ESP?

And thanks for my copy.

o

Could you please email me a copy of the worm calculator.
Thank You Carl
carlbro@wildblue.net

o

I would appreciate a copy of your Calculator.

lelswelch@windstrean.net

Thanks

o

Sent. No Probs

lels - bad email address. Bounced back.

Would it be windstream by chance?
LOL

o

Can I have one? Thanks!

o

Sent OK.

Enjoy and happy worming!

o

Calculator please?

Dave Nelson
dnelson26@wi.rr.com

o

Lets try again:

lelswelch@windstream.net

Thanks

o

• Posted by shaul Israel (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 17:59

This sounds like a really fantastic idea.
Could you please send me a copy.
Thanks very much.

Shaul

lavshaur@netvision.net.il

o

Hi Marauder01

I bet you didn't think this would be a full time job! If you're still feeling generous, could I please have a copy?

thebasiles777@yahoo.com

Thanks!

o

LOL, sent OK.

Always happy to help.

I found the calculator added an extra reason to become addicted, not that I needed any help there.

Cheers

o

Hey Marauder;

Thanks so much for the calculator. It is truly a work of art.

You know, in the beginning everyone is impatient, saying: "Oh when will I have enough worms to process my food waste?"
Well, they should look at the other end of the calculator and realize that (under the right conditions of food supply, space to breed and living environment) within the short space of 2-years, they could be looking at 198,000,000 worms, weighing in at: over 50,000 lbs; and requiring over 25,000 lbs. of food/ every day.

Now that's a sobering thought.

Shaul

o

I woukd also like to have a copy of your calculator.

pgholaway@earthlink.net

Thanks! Pete

o

Impatient? I wouldn't know anyone who's impatient. :)

o

I guess I've lurked long enough.

I would love a copy of your Worm Breeding Calculator. Waiting for my squirm to multiply is so hard. Be nice to sorta know when I will have "enough." Is there enough? I don't think so! (incert manic laughter, here.)

Anita

o
oops

Manic laughter distracted me...hee hee!

anitasplace7@hotmail.com

Thank-you,
Anita

o

Hi, Can I please have a copy of the calc as well.
Thanks
Ludwig

o

Could you please email me a copy of the worm calculator.
dj55dj55dj55@yahoo.com

Thank You so much!

o

Here's some more information that might help out.

The population doubling time is about 60-90 days. From the "Reuse of Sludge & Wastewater residuals by Alice Outwater, p. 118".
Colorado State University says doubling time is 4 months.

Also, here's some lifecycle information. The first set of numbers are from Kelly Slocum and where there's disagreement, the second set are from Edwards and Dominquez. Both are respected scientists in the worm world. I don't know why there are differences.

Eisenia Fetida
Reproductive rate: Approximately 10 young per worm per week under ideal conditions.
Average number of young per cocoon: Approximately 3.
Time to emergence from the cocoon: Approximately 30-75 days under ideal conditions. (Edwards and Dominguez say 18-26 days)
Time to sexual maturity from birth: 53 to 76 days (E and D say 21-30)
Time from cocoon to maturity: Approximately 85-150 days under ideal conditions. (Edwards and Dominguez say 45-51)
Survival - up to 5 years

I've found that I don't get anywhere NEAR the predictions. I'm doing my best to get 'ideal conditions', but clearly that's not happening.

For those with Blues (PEs), here's the numbers on them.
PE Maximum reproduction under ideal condtions:
19.5 cocoons per adult per week
90.7% hatching success rate
1.1 hatchlings per cocoon
Net reproduction of 19.4 young per adult per week
Maximum growth rate under ideal conditions:
16-21 days to cocoon hatch (E and D say 18)
29-55 days from birth to sexual maturity (E and D say 28-42)
45-76 days from cocoon to maturity (E and D say 40-71)

o

Hi Could you send me a copy also.

LKittleJr@AOL.com
Thanks very much.

larry

o

Can you send me a copy?

Thanks!

email dubliner@cox.net

o

Hi Marauder01 are you still emailing the worm calculator to the folks that want a copy? If so I would like a copy of it. I hope my email address is working. It is LKittleJr@aol.com. Thank you very much Jay.

Larry

o

I can't belive this old thread is still limping along. Get a life you people!

LMAO!!!

PS srry, I blurt sometimes
PPS srry 'bout the long layoff, sent out the calculator to all. This is my original one, so shouldn't be corrupt or mucked up too much. Good Luck!

J

o

Hi Jay; Old don't mean we're dead ya know! Some get new life after a search even!lol

o

I would also like a copy. Please send to cailee@swbell.net

o

Hi Jay.
Is there any chance I could still get a copy of your calculator? Thanks in advance!

Leigh
gaitnalong@yahoo.com

o

Sent OK to all.

If you want a copy, please keep posting, as I am checking this board more often now, so go forth and spread the worm! (Srry, I do amuse myself....)

Jay

o

Hi Jay - your fame is spreading - I'm in New Zealand. I have created my own spreadsheet, but yours sounds MUCH better than mine. Can you pleeeeeease send to me?

hoberng at xtra.co.nz

o

LOl, don't know about fame, but sent it to you OK.

This thing is pretty close to right now.

It really helps to open your eyes to the possibilities.

Thnaks smeegle, happy to help!

LOL, think I got the name wrong, but you do have funny critters over there! My precious! lol

Jay

o

Hi Jay! I was hoping you could send me a copy of the calculator! I'm seeing a lot of people with good things to say about it.

My email is redwormsbc@hotmail.com

Here is a link that might be useful: RedWormsBC

o

OK, my interest is sparked. Could you please send me a copy as well? I was a financial advisor in prior life and that's all about spreadsheets. It'd be fun to see them for something cool for once... ;)

bboehrk AT gmail.com

Thanks so much!

o

Here ya go guys,

Hope you enjoy. It does kind of open your eyes as to what is possible.

Good Luck!

o

Hi Ken,

I'd also appreciate your spreadsheet!
Thanks.

Happy 4th.

mycorestoration@hotmail.com

o

Who's Ken? :-) Wesley, it's actually Jay who's got the spreadsheet. I'm pretty sure he'll say "no worries" and send it to you.

Cheers,
Andrew

o

Jay, I realize that you posted this originally in Oct 09, but I'd love a copy of it if you still have it.

Thanks!

crocpunter@yahoo.com

o

On the money Andrew,

You are all very, very welcome.

So go forth and Multiple!!!!

Sent to both Good Luck!

o

Hi This email sounds very helpful. If you are still emailing it, may I please get a copy? My email is kennedyk07@students.ecu.edu. I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks in advance, happy breeding :)

o

Here you go, no probs.

Good Luck!

Jay

o

Can I please get a copy of the calculator?

Thanks
Heidi

funkychickenchica@hotmail.com

o

I got the calculator and my mind boggles. I'm gonna need to find new sources of worm food in about three weeks.

:-0

o

I'd appreciate the spreadsheet.
Thanks,
Jim Marconnet
jmarconnet@gmail.com

o

Sent OK.

Good Luck!!

o

I received the spreadsheet today. Thanks!

I have looked it over some, and I see how Columns A-F work.

Not sure what the Columns G-R are or how they were developed. I see dates, which relate well to this thread. Somehow I doubt that the numbers there are actual weights and actual counts! :-) Anyone care to tell about these?

Clearly I'll need to look further at this neat spreadsheet as I have time.

Thanks!
Jim Marconnet

o

Jay, Is it too late to get a copy? i would love one. my email is cathacker91@gmail.com

Thanks
Tammy

o

Copies mailed.

Columns G-R = enter a start date (in yellow at the top), for a tote, and predict what the weight of worm will be in the following weeks by looking at column G-H.

Only enter data in the yellow boxes

Hope this helps.

Jay

PS The dates you find to start with are from my early totes. :-)

o

This sounds great. Can you send me a copy?

My email is mwkruse (at) gmail.com

Thanks,

Mike

o

Hey Jay, this is Ray,
I just began worming this year. I'm an engineer in a formor life so I take things out pretty far as well. I spent the better part of last night working through the math for EF propagation and then found your page today. Hope you are still out there to share your spreadsheet. It sounds like a Godsend to me. My email is econlp@gmail.com. Hope your herd is abundant and healthy. Obviously it stopped growing at optimum exponential rate by now. We would have noticed the earth's wobble by now.

Thanks in advance, Ray

o

Can I still get this calculator? ryandrewsmith at gmail.com

o

Hello Jay enjoyed reading this forum, who knows what we will be during in the coming years. Never thought that I would be starting up a worm bin, but I am and in the house no gargage, or basement. I also would like to get a copy of the worm calculator. Thank you

o

Hi all,
I recieved Marauder's calculator from Shaul, and thanks to the author and for Shaul who supplied it. I have incorporated some features into my spreadsheet and those of you who want to consider starting a business can use this to work out breeding stock, how much waste they will need, how much compost they will produce and roughly how much money you can make. you will have to substitute your own currency to it but as it is still a draft you may find wrong bits and pieces, let me know and I will fix it if possible. Cheers Dr John.

o

Hi All; I looked up this thread because of the last comments in the clean calculator thread. This is the original thread and near the end I had asked for a copy to play with in a "what if" sinereo exercize and the copy made my comp virus aleart flag be activated. So I ask for a clean copy of the calculator in a newly started thread.

This post was edited by lkittle on Wed, May 15, 13 at 10:05

o

I'd love to see a copy of this calculator. Please email to WTJordan@aol.com

Thank you.

o

I'd love to have a clean copy of the Worm Breeding Calculator if it is still available.
Please email me: glossostigma [at] yahoo.com

~Thanks!

o

may i have a copy keeleymcook@aol.com

o

Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 23:41

Between Marauder and myself, over 100 Calculators were sent out (as requested). Personally, I NO LONGER DEAL WITH IT,
but I am sure that with 100 copies, you will find someone to get it from.

Also, Please DO NOT EMAIL ME with requests for information about the Calculator. I am Neither the Author nor the Creator of the Calculator and I Do Not Possess any more information about it than can be found on the Forum.

Shaul

o

Has anyone actually verified the accuracy or precision of this calculator? I'm not calling its efficacy into question, rather, I simply haven't seen any verification of the original assumptions or those supplied about half way through the thread.

Paul

o

I just scrolled thru this monster wondering if there was some reason (legality? copyright? advertising?) for it not being posted directly onto the forum. And if not, I further wondered why the calculator hasn't been posted by someone else?

That said, I don't need or want one because I've found out what maximizes reproductive activities of the critters: Mood music. Neil Diamond stuff is REAL good.

On a less frivolous side, I've been doing a little experiment for a couple of months that should be interesting to wormers who are looking for ways to speed things up & I'm gonna post it (Worms on Speed) today or tomorrow. Seriously.

cb2

(Hope this doesn't constitute a-d-v-e-r-t-i-s-i-n-g)

o

What started off as a logical post has over time morphed into my least favorite thread. Can we kill a thread somehow? The questions of the last two posts are valid. The topic sort of grew beyond what was originally intended. I wish it would go away but with vermicomposting being an activity that takes time, the question of how much time is a hot topic especially for those new to vermicomposting. Those who are long timers know it takes as long as it takes. Commercial systems may be different.

o

Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 12:14

Thank You EQ2, my feelings exactly! I'm glad someone else responded to this before me.
For anyone with questions or comments about the worm calculator, you should address yourself directly to 'Marauder' (the creator of the calculator), for only he can answer all your questions; but since 'Marauder' hasn't been seen in these parts for the last couple years, I doubt you're going to be getting an answer any time soon (the rest of us are about fed-up with the whole subject).
On a happier note, Chuckie, I'm looking forward to the results of your research.

Shaul

o

Note: I do not think anybody has any issue with marauder01. I don't specifically recall but I bet he was a frequent and informative poster. It just happened the topic was so popular the requests for copies exploded beyond what anyone could foresee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here