Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marauder01

Worm Breeding Calculator

marauder01
14 years ago

Hi all.

I'm slowly trying to move towards increasing my herd to cover my family's waste needs, and also giving away as many worms to friends as I can (ie if I started with 1000, how long would it take before I could give away 1000 per week indefinately?).

Anyway, I have made a little excel spreadsheet to try and calculate just how fast a population could grow. Yes I can hear you now saying "...but there are many factors involved....yada..yada..." lol. True, but you have to start somewhere.

My VERY conservative assumptions are these:

-20 week life cycle (ie cocoon to sexual maturity)

-Each adult lays 1 cocoon per week

-Each cocoon hatches 2 reds in 10 weeks time (70 days)

-Adults live several years in good conditions

I have also added input boxes for starting number, and weekly loses (ie start with 100 mature worms, lose 10% per week, etc)

Guess how many you'd get in a year? lol

What do you think of my assumptions? Are they reasonable (given fair conditions, food and space)?

Since I can't post a file here, if you'd like a copy, post here and I'll try and email it to you.

Cheers

Jay

Comments (96)

• papa76302
    13 years ago

I would also like a copy. Please send to cailee@swbell.net

• gaitngirl
    13 years ago

Hi Jay.
    Is there any chance I could still get a copy of your calculator? Thanks in advance!

Leigh
    gaitnalong@yahoo.com

• marauder01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sent OK to all.

If you want a copy, please keep posting, as I am checking this board more often now, so go forth and spread the worm! (Srry, I do amuse myself....)

Jay

• hoberng_xtra_co_nz
    12 years ago

Hi Jay - your fame is spreading - I'm in New Zealand. I have created my own spreadsheet, but yours sounds MUCH better than mine. Can you pleeeeeease send to me?

hoberng at xtra.co.nz

• marauder01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOl, don't know about fame, but sent it to you OK.

This thing is pretty close to right now.

It really helps to open your eyes to the possibilities.

Thnaks smeegle, happy to help!

LOL, think I got the name wrong, but you do have funny critters over there! My precious! lol

Jay

• redwormsbc_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi Jay! I was hoping you could send me a copy of the calculator! I'm seeing a lot of people with good things to say about it.

My email is redwormsbc@hotmail.com

Here is a link that might be useful: RedWormsBC

• BlauerPlanet
    12 years ago

OK, my interest is sparked. Could you please send me a copy as well? I was a financial advisor in prior life and that's all about spreadsheets. It'd be fun to see them for something cool for once... ;)

bboehrk AT gmail.com

Thanks so much!

• marauder01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here ya go guys,

Hope you enjoy. It does kind of open your eyes as to what is possible.

Good Luck!

• mycorestoration_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi Ken,

I'd also appreciate your spreadsheet!
    Thanks.

Happy 4th.

mycorestoration@hotmail.com

• plumiebear
    12 years ago

Who's Ken? :-) Wesley, it's actually Jay who's got the spreadsheet. I'm pretty sure he'll say "no worries" and send it to you.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• Worms4Tracy
    12 years ago

Jay, I realize that you posted this originally in Oct 09, but I'd love a copy of it if you still have it.

Thanks!

crocpunter@yahoo.com

• marauder01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On the money Andrew,

You are all very, very welcome.

So go forth and Multiple!!!!

Sent to both Good Luck!

• k3eternal
    12 years ago

Hi This email sounds very helpful. If you are still emailing it, may I please get a copy? My email is kennedyk07@students.ecu.edu. I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks in advance, happy breeding :)

• marauder01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here you go, no probs.

Good Luck!

Jay

• htanguay
    12 years ago

Can I please get a copy of the calculator?

Thanks
    Heidi

funkychickenchica@hotmail.com

• Worms4Tracy
    12 years ago

I got the calculator and my mind boggles. I'm gonna need to find new sources of worm food in about three weeks.

:-0

• JamesMarconnet
    12 years ago

I'd appreciate the spreadsheet.
    Thanks,
    Jim Marconnet
    jmarconnet@gmail.com

• marauder01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sent OK.

Good Luck!!

• JamesMarconnet
    12 years ago

I received the spreadsheet today. Thanks!

I have looked it over some, and I see how Columns A-F work.

Not sure what the Columns G-R are or how they were developed. I see dates, which relate well to this thread. Somehow I doubt that the numbers there are actual weights and actual counts! :-) Anyone care to tell about these?

Clearly I'll need to look further at this neat spreadsheet as I have time.

Thanks!
    Jim Marconnet

• thch91
    12 years ago

Jay, Is it too late to get a copy? i would love one. my email is cathacker91@gmail.com

Thanks
    Tammy

• marauder01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Copies mailed.

Columns G-R = enter a start date (in yellow at the top), for a tote, and predict what the weight of worm will be in the following weeks by looking at column G-H.

Only enter data in the yellow boxes

Hope this helps.

Jay

PS The dates you find to start with are from my early totes. :-)

• sdcalif
    12 years ago

This sounds great. Can you send me a copy?

My email is mwkruse (at) gmail.com

Thanks,

Mike

• dadugriff
    11 years ago

Hey Jay, this is Ray,
    I just began worming this year. I'm an engineer in a formor life so I take things out pretty far as well. I spent the better part of last night working through the math for EF propagation and then found your page today. Hope you are still out there to share your spreadsheet. It sounds like a Godsend to me. My email is econlp@gmail.com. Hope your herd is abundant and healthy. Obviously it stopped growing at optimum exponential rate by now. We would have noticed the earth's wobble by now.

Thanks in advance, Ray

• machinist17
    11 years ago

Can I still get this calculator? ryandrewsmith at gmail.com

• quilter62
    11 years ago

Hello Jay enjoyed reading this forum, who knows what we will be during in the coming years. Never thought that I would be starting up a worm bin, but I am and in the house no gargage, or basement. I also would like to get a copy of the worm calculator. Thank you

• John1333
    11 years ago

Hi all,
    I recieved Marauder's calculator from Shaul, and thanks to the author and for Shaul who supplied it. I have incorporated some features into my spreadsheet and those of you who want to consider starting a business can use this to work out breeding stock, how much waste they will need, how much compost they will produce and roughly how much money you can make. you will have to substitute your own currency to it but as it is still a draft you may find wrong bits and pieces, let me know and I will fix it if possible. Cheers Dr John.

• lkittle
    10 years ago

Hi All; I looked up this thread because of the last comments in the clean calculator thread. This is the original thread and near the end I had asked for a copy to play with in a "what if" sinereo exercize and the copy made my comp virus aleart flag be activated. So I ask for a clean copy of the calculator in a newly started thread.

This post was edited by lkittle on Wed, May 15, 13 at 10:05

• AustinBill
    10 years ago

I'd love to see a copy of this calculator. Please email to WTJordan@aol.com

Thank you.

• Boukmn
    10 years ago

I'd love to have a clean copy of the Worm Breeding Calculator if it is still available.
    Please email me: glossostigma [at] yahoo.com

~Thanks!

• michael1846
    10 years ago

may i have a copy keeleymcook@aol.com

• Shaul
    10 years ago

Between Marauder and myself, over 100 Calculators were sent out (as requested). Personally, I NO LONGER DEAL WITH IT,
    but I am sure that with 100 copies, you will find someone to get it from.

Also, Please DO NOT EMAIL ME with requests for information about the Calculator. I am Neither the Author nor the Creator of the Calculator and I Do Not Possess any more information about it than can be found on the Forum.

Shaul

• pskvorc
    10 years ago

Has anyone actually verified the accuracy or precision of this calculator? I'm not calling its efficacy into question, rather, I simply haven't seen any verification of the original assumptions or those supplied about half way through the thread.

Paul

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

I just scrolled thru this monster wondering if there was some reason (legality? copyright? advertising?) for it not being posted directly onto the forum. And if not, I further wondered why the calculator hasn't been posted by someone else?

That said, I don't need or want one because I've found out what maximizes reproductive activities of the critters: Mood music. Neil Diamond stuff is REAL good.

On a less frivolous side, I've been doing a little experiment for a couple of months that should be interesting to wormers who are looking for ways to speed things up & I'm gonna post it (Worms on Speed) today or tomorrow. Seriously.

cb2

(Hope this doesn't constitute a-d-v-e-r-t-i-s-i-n-g)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

What started off as a logical post has over time morphed into my least favorite thread. Can we kill a thread somehow? The questions of the last two posts are valid. The topic sort of grew beyond what was originally intended. I wish it would go away but with vermicomposting being an activity that takes time, the question of how much time is a hot topic especially for those new to vermicomposting. Those who are long timers know it takes as long as it takes. Commercial systems may be different.

• Shaul
    10 years ago

Thank You EQ2, my feelings exactly! I'm glad someone else responded to this before me.
    For anyone with questions or comments about the worm calculator, you should address yourself directly to 'Marauder' (the creator of the calculator), for only he can answer all your questions; but since 'Marauder' hasn't been seen in these parts for the last couple years, I doubt you're going to be getting an answer any time soon (the rest of us are about fed-up with the whole subject).
    On a happier note, Chuckie, I'm looking forward to the results of your research.

Shaul

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

Note: I do not think anybody has any issue with marauder01. I don't specifically recall but I bet he was a frequent and informative poster. It just happened the topic was so popular the requests for copies exploded beyond what anyone could foresee.

• sweetamrita
    8 years ago

I know this is a very old thread but the information is still of interest to me now, and clearly the search engines ares still picking up on the keywords. Does anyone have a copy of their calculator spreadsheet that they would be willing to share with me? My husband and I did our own (he is an Excel expert) and we'd like to see how it compares to anyone else. We'd be willing to trade information.
    Amrita you can reach me at sweetamrita@yahoo.com

PS: Good luck everyone in your endeavors.

• Shaul
    8 years ago

The Worm Calculator was created by one of the members about six years ago, who then promptly disappeared and hasn't been seen or heard from since; leaving the rest of us to try to explain that we had no more information than anyone else, on how the thing worked. Personally, I have had no end of aggravation from this whole damned sorry business (including people emailing me and accusing me of holding back information on the secret workings of the calculator) and as far as I'm concerned, this topic is dead and buried, and should remain that way.

If you have any further questions, Please Don't Address Them To Me.

Shaul

• Matthew Chung
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, Can I please have a copy of the calculator as well.
    Thanks

Matthew_chung04@hotmail.com

Matt

• Shaul
    7 years ago

Matthew; Who are you addressing your request to? I sure hope it's NOT ME!!

Now I understand why EquinoxEquinox jumped ship and hasn't been heard from for the last year.

Shaul

• theparsley
    7 years ago

I have read a lot of the old postings on this board. I wish equinoxequinox was still here. She (?) is hilarious.

• Shaul
    7 years ago

Most definitely, 'She'.

Shaul

• chuckiebtoo
    7 years ago

eq2 was the glue.

chuckiebtoo

• jeanniejade
    7 years ago

I'm very good at excel and can figure out how the calculator works. I can also figure out a way for people on this thread to access the calculator, so others won't keep bothering you. if someone can share it with that would be great, just email jeanniejade@hotmail.com

thanks all!

• h3lltowns3rv3r
    7 years ago

could someone with the calculator just upload it to google docs with write protection , then anyone will be freely able to download it clone it and make their own changes etc ...

• chuckiebtoo
    7 years ago

Everyone's too busy playing PokemonGo now to worry about wormin'.

cb2 (hi, Shaul(Israel)...how's the herd doing?

• hummersteve
    7 years ago

It seems to me there are too many variables to calculate in the way you are trying to . The conditions need to be correct for the worms, proper bedding , not too dry, not too wet, enough food for the quantity of worms in the bins, yet not to overfeed. Also to produce quality castings takes time, but if all conditions are suitable theres no reason why they wont procreate efficiently . Patience is a virtue and is another quality that is needed and suggested to the worm farmer. Laying it out like blueprint , this will happen , then this , then that in my opinion is a mistake . The clientele has to be built up , once that happens are you adjusting your feeding habits accordingly? I hear so many people talk about all the drainage they have and worms leaving or dying. That in itself should indicate to them their methods need adjustment, the bedding , the feeding process, the moisture level. As a comparison I rarely have actual liquid in my WF 360 drainage tray but it is usually moist there, but if I open the drain spout I will either get nothing or a few drops. In my opinion if you have more than that your bins are too wet.

• chuckiebtoo
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My theory just keeps being proven "righter" all the time. There is a chemical, I believe, extruded by our worms that causes us wormers to become over-thinkers of how to take care of the wormies. This could be intentional on the worms' part as a way of being treated (pampered) WAY more than is required to keep them in ideal conditions.

I have said here before, and it bears repeating, that the worst thing we can do to them babies is mess with them too much. Overdoing things causes most of the stress that causes them to vacate the premises or become disillusioned and distraught about life. Going into a funk and wasting away becomes their only alternative because we cannot communicate with them orally and we can't seem to see the writing on the wall.

I have, over the years, "grown" identical worm communities side be side using completely opposite techniques including smothering, over-attentive, disruptive and incessant bothersomeness of one bin and minimal (almost non-existent) care for the bin next door. The differences of production and other desired qualities and results of what we try to do around here were always indistinquishable.

Just saying..........again.

Chuckiebtoo

• Chris
    5 years ago

If anyone has a copy of this spreadsheet, if you could please send a copy to

gd48202 @ gmail dot com

it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks