Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

Adding Clay to Bin

equinoxequinox
13 years ago

My soil is like beach sand. Compost evaporates quickly.

In clay soil I read to add sand. The books never seem to say to add clay to sandy soil. I found a source a town over where construction was being done. I grabbed a couple pieces of clay as big as I could carry. I broke it up and added it to a bucket of water and slowly it absorbed water. I test fired some and made a tiny pot. If I toss it into the garden it will be clumps of clay in the sand. I would like the clay to distribute more evenly. Worm castings stay seperated because each is coated with a bit of calcium, I think. I was thinking if I added amounts of clay to my bin the worms might break down the clay into individual grains and incorporate it into the castings. I use my vermicompost for starting seeds in tiny pots. I plant in a tiny square foot garden. I want the space I do have to have good soil. I'll toss a few balls of clay into the top of the bin and see what comes out of the bottom. Or I could make it into a slury and pour some in when the bin is dry. Some people say to just toss things like plant vitamins into the garden and skip the bin, but I want things to bond together on a molecular level. That is the plan anyways. I should send little blue prints to the worms so they get the plan.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath