Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocket_ken

Cheap source for worms?

rocket_ken
18 years ago

I was given a Can O Worms a few months ago but I haven't been able to afford to order any worms. Is it possible to find them outside in WA state?

Comments (37)

• newbie314
    18 years ago

Try a bait shop. Not rea cheap but started with 300 worms
    Been 10 months, maybe 1000+ by now.

• sqh1
    18 years ago

If you have a yard that is not loaded with chemicals, you could saok an area, put some type of organic material down (maybe like melon or coffee grounds), and cover it with some soaked cardboard. Check it every so often and worms should show up. It might be slow but it's free!

• MKitten
    18 years ago

My first thought was Seattle Tilth, but I looked it up and they're more expensive than I thought. $12.50 for half a pound. If you're interested, here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Tilth

• rexie
    18 years ago

Ebay.com
    Search for redworms. There is a seller there selling a full pound+ of composting redworms for $20 with free shipping within the US. I bought from her and there were only a few casualties and a few died later the next day. That's a 1000+ of worms for...no pun intended...dirt cheap!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay

• suzieh
    18 years ago

Try your local freecycle (www.freecycle.com)
    or local craigslist (www.craigslist.com).

Your county extension may have worms for cheap.

Do a search for sustainable gardening in your area.
    I bet a kindhearted person will share. Or recycling groups/organizations.

I got mine by just talking gardening with an ol' timer
    working a second job in the gardening section of a hardware store. I was ready to pay but he insisted on giving me my first wormies.

And I met a community gardener who was icked out by her worms in her bag of purchased compost. That was until I told her how valuable her wormies and castings are :0)

Good luck! When I have enough to share, I will do so for "free" as they were given to me and now they are my "Friendship Wormies".

You can also join a group elsewhere. I belong to thewormbin on Yahoo and maybe there's someone in Seattle who has plenty to share?

Susan

• Steve_NH
    18 years ago

I would love to do the "friendship worms" thing, too. Unfortunately, everyone I talk to about vermicomposting in my area thinks I'm crazy! Maybe I'll try the Freecycle suggestion once my worm colony is sufficiently established (I only started at the beginning of October 2005).

Anyway, for those in the New England area, I got my worms from Ken Perry of http://redworms-greenearth.com

Bought my Can-O-Worms from him at the Deerfield Fair (Deerfield, NH) on a Thursday, and received my 2 lbs of worms in the mail the following Tuesday. They were nicely packed in breathable cloth-like bags with plenty of foodstuff to munch on. His prices seem reasonable, I'm not sure how they compare to other sellers in the country.

Standard disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Mr. Perry's business in any way --- just sharing my positive experience.

• jason_mackenna
    18 years ago

How come no one is recommending WormWoman.com? I got mine through them, $19.00 for 1 lb, $34 for 2 + S&H. This is the late Mary Appelhof's company.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.wormwoman.com

• Steve_NH
    18 years ago

I forgot to mention in my post above that his prices are:

1 lb: $15.00
    2 lbs: $27.00

plus shipping.

• rocket_ken
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the great advice everyone. Hopefully I will find someone locally who doesn't mind sharing a few to get me started.
    Wormswrangler- I didn't know that being a poor college student who can't afford to pay over $20 for worms was degrading to them. Not all of us have money to throw around.

• bdkofbc
    18 years ago

Dear Ken
    All you have to do this time of year is go rake some leaves.
    There are plenty lurking under there, especially on a sidewalk or wet areas.
    If you know of someone who has a grass compost or a veggie compost you will find lots there.
    You will find the large dew worms as well.......leave them alone, they will not survive.
    Just take the red and striped worms. Keep them relatively warm over the winter and by spring you will have a good size colony.
    Bev

• suzieh
    18 years ago

KEN --

I really think you'll have good luck finding some free wormies
    through freecycle or craigslist (under free) and also go to their gardening discussion group (awkward to follow threads).

And join the_worm_bin on Yahoo and other groups and post your situation there.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_worm_bin/

Sorry I'm not near and don't have enough friendship wormies to share yet. I've got a line forming for my wormies already.

STEVE IN NEW HAMPSHIRE -
    Surprisingly, no one thinks I'm nuts for having wormies.
    They must get caught up in my enthusiasm or I'm preaching to the choir (recyclers and gardeners).

• wormfarmer_6
    18 years ago

I've given away many starts of worms on freecycle. Its a great way to find new homes for your friendship worms and you get to meet some neat people with similar interests. I'm sure if you put a "wanted" post for red worms, someone will have some for you.

• swampboogiequeen
    18 years ago

I would totally give a handful to someone if I knew they were in need.

• kamerakim
    18 years ago

Thanks for the freecycle idea Susan. I just posted to
    my local freecycle and I already have a reply! I wasn't
    sure what area to post under for craigslist so I skipped it.

Kim

• newbie314
    18 years ago

How many worms in a start culture.
    I started with 300.
    I think I'm up to 1000

Hard to count though :-)

• Matt_Man
    18 years ago

i got a pound of worms from topline-2000.com for $21 and it came with free shipping, but the free shipping depends on what zone you live in...

• rexie
    18 years ago

It's that "+ Shipping" I'm always afriad of. That's why I go where the shipping is free. I see no reason to pay upwards of $10 to ship worms when I can purchase the worms cheaply AND get free shipping. Paying more for the same species of worms is not getting more for your dollar (re WormWrangler.com). Ihave had no problem with the vender on ebay.com who has sent me two shipments of worms. They've composted and done what they are supposed to...for less money. So trying to tell people that purchasing cheap is degrading...well...you're not getting an fan support or new customers from that statement, that is for sure.
    BTW, the username of the person on ebay.com: kaelyn0203
    One pound of composting redworms for $17-$19, free shipping.
    Two pounds for $34, and free shipping.
    Beat that worm wrangler!

• tey157
    16 years ago

Bump! I'm looking for worms.

• vermiman
    16 years ago

BTW, the username of the person on ebay.com: kaelyn0203
    One pound of composting redworms for $17-$19, free shipping.
    Two pounds for $34, and free shipping.

triplegwormfarm.com

• tey157
    16 years ago

Oh, thanks, I'll check it out!

• pamperedpeterson
    16 years ago

I bought my worms from Shady Creek Worm Farm, 1 pound was $19.95, with free shipping. I don't work for them, I am just very pleased with my order.
    However, they are in TN, and it seems it would be better to buy "closer to home". But wanted to share my source, in case anyone else is looking too. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Shady Creek Worm Farm

• tey157
    16 years ago

pamperedpeterson,

Thanks, for the link I would like to buy close to home, but it seems their more expensive.

Thanks again,
    Tey

• tey157
    16 years ago

pamperedpeterson,

I bought a pound of worms from them.

Tey

• Jasdip
    16 years ago

The going rate for worms in Ont. Canada is $45 per pound plus shipping. You guys are getting great deals!

• tey157
    16 years ago

Did you try shopping around a little?

• Jasdip
    16 years ago

Hi tey! I remember you!
    You wanted me to send my castings to you. lol
    Yep, I wrote to a few people. I asked a couple people how much they were and both of them said that $45 was the norm.
    One lady is selling hers for $60! Needless to say I didn't bite. How bout I buy some from you and re-sell them here? Trade castings for worms. heehee

Sherry

• tey157
    16 years ago

LOL! I don't know if that is possible! Canadian authorities might have a fit. Search on google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Composters

• Jasdip
    16 years ago

Hi Tey,
    I googled border crossings and worms can be brought into Canada provided they are not in dirt. So Coir and shredded newspaper would work.
    Hmmmmmm wonder what shipping would be? Now I'm curious!
    Or I just may make a trip to Michigan, buy some worms and sell them at a profit here. And bat my eyelashes and sweet-talk the guards when I explain my buckets of worms.
    I can just see this.
    Sherry

• tey157
    16 years ago

Sherry,

The shipping would probally be to high. LOL! You might just want to make that trip. Just make sure you "bat" your eyelashes and "sweet-talk the guards". HEHE!

Dean

• greenthumbteam
    16 years ago

I ran into worms as I was trying to get some rabbit manure. The man raised rabbits in a system called urine soak pits.
    I would go and get as many five gallon buckets full that I wanted. The worms would be spilling out over the edges. It makes me feel bad for those who strain over counting by the hundreds and thousands. If I had a wrong setup for bedding and lost a bunch, I would offer to clean out his beds again and start over. I was able to experiment with all kinds of different stuff. Hope this helps....

• tey157
    16 years ago

greenthumbteam, where did you find him at? Sounds like a great deal!

• boness
    16 years ago

check your area for the actual farms, i go out to a local worm farm and buy by the 5 gallon bucket. also set up your wet cardboard covered by ply board and check especially at day break the am after a rain. you will find all kinds under your cardboard. i set up two small 2foot x 4 foot about a month ago and have now added just over 300 worms to my pit from this source.

• jerry_g
    16 years ago

Cheapest worms I've seen are at GotWorms@Comcast.Net.
    5 pounds for $75 including shipping.

• marauder01
    16 years ago

I just ordered 4000 worm for $117 AU here in Australia delivered (that's $106 US).

They also ship eggs world wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kookaburra Worm Farms

• herronfarms
    13 years ago

dont forget to use findworms.com
    a huge listing of all over the world

Here is a link that might be useful: Herron Farms

• joellenh
    13 years ago

The cheapest I can find right now are $24 shipped for one pound. I called several local bait shops and can't find any.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow Worms

• plumiebear
    13 years ago

If you spend any time browsing the various vermicomposting forums, you will have read many accounts of people having problems with worms from online sellers. Sadly, although there are many honest & competent worm sellers, there are also many dishonest and/or incompetent ones. Like others here, I have a budget, but sometimes "cheap" doesn't save you money.

If you read through this whole thread, you will see many suggestions on how to find inexpensive or free local sources of worms. If those are not an option, then you will need to do some extra homework to avoid getting cheated.

This online compilation (with some reviews) is only a start. (btw, there's a larger list on a forum that has been banned from being mentioned here because they generate spam)
    http://vermicomposters.ning.com/forum/topics/worm-suppliers

Here's a video showing what 1/4 lb., 1/2 lb. and 1 lb. of worms look like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4uYXHydoo

Here's a video of my own harvest of a cup of worms (~6-6.5 oz.):
    http://vermicomposters.ning.com/video/gentleworms-start-your-engines

The videos are FYI only. By the time you receive worms and see what you actually received, it will probably be too late. Best to do your homework well.

Andrew