Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
earthbox vermicomposting..

Posted by alonzofretwell nv (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 18, 09 at 3:40

hi,

i am new to vermiculture. i have set up an old earthbox that i have to serve as my first system.

there is a diagram of the system at the link.

there is a screen over the water reservoir. i am using the system with the screen in place. my plan is to just put 250 worms into the system directly and run it like i would if i were growing vegetables adding feed as needed. periodically removing the castings

can you foresee any trouble with this?

please advise.

-alonzo

Here is a link that might be useful: earthbox diagram

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: earthbox vermicomposting..

You might want to use a light to keep the worms in this thing.
And buy a copy of "Worms Eat My Garbage", which will save you a lot of trouble.

o

@steamyb..

thanks. the light is a good idea. the containers are outside on a second story balcony. i was more concerned they would drown in the water reservoir.

i already have at least one worm in one container. i just picked it up off the sidewalk and dropped it into the container about two years ago. while planting in the box last year i came across a single plump, vigorus worm but i don't think it was the same one i dropped in. i don't know if there are more in the box or not. i was really surprised that they did not all crawl through the screen and drown.

i had a suspicion they would not but with 250 competing for space i don't know.

i will look into the book too.

o

also, if they start escaping i can plug the overflow hole with a .25in test-tube stopper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here