Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jason_mackenna

Feeding Meats

jason_mackenna
18 years ago

If worms don't really eat the food we add to the bin, but eat the bacteria, molds, & fungi breaking down the food, then why limit the bin to vegetable materials?

Comments (4)

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

I don't put meat, or any processed foods, in my bin for two reasons. Firstly, it stinks after a couple of days and secondly, rats. Those two things aside, I don't suppose there would be a problem adding meat. I don't know how fast it breaks down though.

• Frogonalog
    18 years ago

Jason,

In my opinion, a little meat every once in a while isn't bad. I'll put in an old boiled egg or a handful of leftover beef stew occasionally. Another reason some opt not to do it is the possible risk of contact with salmonella and e-coli; not that you're entirely safe from this in your kitchen or at any restaurant you frequent. I think that the vermicomposting books and worm bin manufacturers mention it to reduce their liability ("don't blame us we told you this could happen"). Kelly or other experts if you're reading this and I'm wrong please correct me, but I think that the vermicomposting process reduces the amounts of these organisms to a safe level. If you follow the same sanitary practices you would with handling uncooked meats I would think you would be safe.

Also, like Raymondo stated meat and dairy products tend to attract unwanted scavenging animals into the bin if you have an outdoor bin. If you have an indoor bin the stench of decaying meat could be awful depending on the quantity.

I used to work at a marina and I was the one who had to remove the bait that our customers had forgot about. We could smell it in our large boat hangar in less than a day and when I found it in the live wells... well let me say it will wake you up in the early morning. Five pounds of baked ham in a cooler was just about as bad also. That smell would not come out no matter how many times I cleaned it. Just my 2 cents.

Charles

P.S.

Here's a snippet from Vermico original link:
    Vermico Summary

Further, research in vermicompostingÂs use in treating wastewater residuals (biosolids) has been another fruitful field of inquiry. Pilot projects using earthworms in biosolids have shown nearly complete and satisfactory eradication of four indicator species of human pathogens (E. coli, Salmonella, enteric viruses, helminth ova). While not yet approved by USEPA or USDA as a viable means to render biosolids as safe for handling (to achieve the standard of Class A biosolids, having met PFRP standards), preliminary studies have shown vermicomposting may be considered a Process to Further Reduce Pathogens (PFRP), although the adoption of standard operating procedures (SOPs) and regulatory approval awaits further demonstration and testing.

• sqh1
    18 years ago

I do sometimes put small amounts of meat/protein into my bins, (2xleftover chili, old deli sliced meat, etc)I put these scraps deep in my outdoor bins. The worms love it, but I would not put meat and bones into my indoor bins or any large quanities anywhere at all. I don't know where large quanities would come from anyway..and I have cats and dogs. Meat takes more time to break down and gets slimy and stinky. I have kids and clients with their hands in my indoor bins (which I promote) and would not want to have them in contact with decomposing meat.

• kris
    18 years ago

the 'worms eat my garbage' book says (maybe beccause it was published a while ago?) that she does burry some meat, like chicken. She says they eat everything but the bones and then when she changes the bins she sets the chicken bones aside, and when the bones are dry she smashes them with a hammer to make bonemeal. She says she only does it in her outside worm bins, which I believe were big, and not inside worm bins because of possible smells. Also burry them well.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction