Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mherron2213

Halloween is over and I have a pumpkin

mherron2213
9 years ago

I know I have read, on this site, that pumpkins are great worm food. I typed 'pumpkin' in the search box and can now tell you how to 1)cook, 2(raise, and 3(several other topics pumpkins.

BUT - I can not find the posts about worms loving pumpkin. So I am asking for confirmation. Do worms like pumpkin? Any additional direction about the manner in which to introduce pumpkin into the bin would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Comments (17)

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

No, I wouldn't say they LIKE it. It's more like whatever word describes infinite more feelings than love. They will stand up and moonwalk for pumpkin. Beg.

Be aware that you are about to show your worms that you've been feeding them slop prior to this.

Type in "pumpkin" in the search function at the bottom of the Vermicomposting page. 134 matches will appear. Probably 135 after this post.

chuckiebtoo

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

If you have a processor, just chop the pumpkin into chunks and chop finely with the processor. If you feel particularly loving to the worms, you can cook the pumpkin flesh and give it to them as nice thick slurp food.

I chopped it with the food processor and froze in baggies for future feedings.

edited to correct a typo.

This post was edited by jasdip on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 19:30

• mendopete
    9 years ago

Can't do wrong with pumpkin. I like to lay larger slabs meat side down on top of the bed.. Peek under a few days later .... worms getting with it!

Good luck and happy wormin'

• 11otis
    9 years ago

I cut them so they fit in my 3 gal. buckets to store. After 2 weeks, I see quite a lot of liquid in the buckets and the pumpkin flesh has gone soft, some of them even the skin. Put the pumpkin on egg trays in the bin and dry shredded newspaper on top.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

MHERRON2213 I feel your pain. The search function should or I thought it used to let a person search a specific forum. Your search results suggest it is searching the whole of gardenweb. I do not seem to be able to get the search just this forum to work. Also I looked but could not find the search function below our posts. I think I remember having all these problems before. So the stuff must be there as they say, I just have difficulty finding it each time.

Pumpkin and watermelon any which way are worm magnets.

• 11otis
    9 years ago

To find the search box and choose for this forum you have to click on "Return to the Vermicomposting Forum" and the box is below where it says:
    ""Next 30 messages... : Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67""
    or go to:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/verm/
    then you'll know what I mean

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

You are right otis11. By following your instructions I was able to find 7 pages of pumpkin posts from our forum. Thank you!

• mherron2213
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I am trying an experiment. I opened a new bin. I placed pumpkin on one half and watermelon on the other. Waiting to see if the worms have a preference. Will update in a week or so

• sbryce_gw
    9 years ago

You might as well ask them if they prefer Ginger or Mary Ann.

I finally had a chance to feed my worms some pumpkin. I found a couple of chunks by the side of the road. I was disappointed to see that the worms pretty much ignored it for a few days, but once it got sufficiently soft, I was surprised to see how fast it was consumed. There was another pumpkin by the side of the road. I wish I had picked it up too. My worms would love another dose of pumpkin. It looks like it is going to be orange peels for a while.

• charitycomposter
    9 years ago

New poster. Have learned a lot from this forum. Thanks for all the great advice and wisdom.

My worms LOVE pumpkin. I chaperoned my son's high school fall dance that was decorated with hundreds of pumpkins. I got a couple dozen free pumpkins for my trouble. My freezer is now full of pumpkin chunks that I seeded and placed in freezer bags. I now take out a chunk or two and let thaw. This causes the pumpkin to become very soft. I cut it up in very small pieces to increase surface area and place in a freezer bag with some well aged horse manure, spent coffee grounds and vegetable scraps. This concoction ages for a few days (turning and opening a couple times a day to ensure good blending and plenty of oxygen) before adding it to my bin with some finely ground egg shells. If the mix is too wet I add shredded paper or cardboard to soak up any excess moisture.

I also use an unfrozen chunk that includes the stem (useful as a handle) in my bin that has processed vermicompost to draw juvenile worms and hatchlings that I then transfer to my working bin.

• nexev - Zone 8b
    9 years ago

Pumpkin is on the 'Plant extra for the chicks and worms' list for the spring garden. We picked several different types including the giant pumpkins and will be growing them just for turning back into the ground though hope they will provide some fall decoration to the garden.

Collecting them from places that have used them as decorations is a great idea. Any organics we can drag home helps with our poor sand soil.

• greengrass12
    9 years ago

It's particularly delicious after 2 or 3 months sitting in the garage as it turns blue and green topped off with a mouth watering whitish bacteria with black specks and streaks throughout. Enjoy.

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

That seems so much fun I think I need a bigger bin.
    A bin big enough to put a whole perforated pumpkin in.
    Might even work as a harvesting technique.

A word I haven't seen here: vermiphile.

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

What's this ?

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

Well I dont have a pumpkin and wish I did. I asked my sister to save hers but her boyfriend already discarded it. I was thinking I would it in with my other slop food and what they do. I can surely attest to their love or eat for watermelon.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

That is spaghetti squash cut around the equator.

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

In addition, I have 2 unprocessed in the garage & my garage freezer filled with chunked, baggy-ed, ready-to-eat ones.

BTW, chunky, 1-inch Halloween pumpkin needn't be softened for worms....especially if it's been frozen & thawed. November, December, and 22 days of January have taken care of that.

chuckiebtoo

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH