Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best worms source

Posted by composthead (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 20, 09 at 11:18

I started with 1 pound of worms and now starting a second bin. What is the best place to order from from everyones experience. In terms of cost quality etc. Is it good to get from different sources and mix the population for genetic diversity?
I'm in California. Now I'll have to come up with another 2000 names. Thanks,
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best worms source

Tom,

Check out http://www.vermicomposters.com/

Just put in your zip code and it will list vermicomposters in your area. You can also check craigslist for your area, that is how I got mine.

If you are in the San Diego area you can go to www.redwormproducts.com. I got a pound of worms for $15.

o

Tom, where in CA? I'm in the SF Bay area and was able to find a local source that sells a "starter-kit" of ~1 lbs. of worms in 5-7 lbs. of the compost they were raised in. I didn't have to go far to pick this up and the worms were saved the trauma of being harvested & shipped. The 2 bins I started with these worms are both thriving. This would probably be your best bet if you could find a local source. Otherwise, the link below has some reviews of online sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm suppliers

o

Never bought any but check out Uncle Jims they have these balls with a bunch of worm eggs inside different species.
Looks really cool.

o

Check out Freecycle in your area. Join up. Ask if anyone has free composting worms.
mbetts

o

Ebay worked well for me I don't remember the seller but it was reasonable and I would rather pay the shipping than take time off work (:

o

composthead: if you are in Ca., you might want to check out http://www.MonsterWorms.com
Good communication and customer service, less travel time for the worms.

o

Thanks everyone for replying. This is a very helpful forum for a rookie like me. I just started 1 month ago
I got my worms from a farm (PJ"s ) in sacramento area about an hour drive and thought I would try a mail source to avoid the drive. The first pound is thriving..I found my first egg today! Mom is healthy and doing fine. we're hoping for a hermathrodite
Any thoughts of the genetic issue?

o

If you have "The first pound" that is thriving, why buy more? Mine multiply so fast, unless you have a need for them right NOW, you could just be paitent and let yours.

o

I have a ton of leaves and garden trimmings. I also got these great wooden crates off of craigslist for free that are perfect for worms. I also order the earthworm to see the differnce.
I ordered off of MonsterWorms. The are very helpful and great customer service!!
Thanks for everyones input.
ps yes I am inpatient

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here