Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Use Saw Dust alone in my worm bin ?

Posted by gogsard (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 11, 09 at 12:20

Hi, I have access to lots of spent mushroom substrate which are made from sawdust. Can I use it in my worm bin without adding other material (i.e leaves, newspapers, etc)? I planning to use with African Night Crawler worms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Use Saw Dust alone in my worm bin ?

I've never actually used it, but I would mix it with some corrugated cardboard (box material) and maybe run sume water through it before I used it. I think it would be fine but just to be safe I would probably let it age for a month or so. It does have some salt in it, but that is a result of the manure used to make it. Here is a link that might be helpful if you wanted to read a little more about it:

Here is a link that might be useful: musroom spawn

o

I have used wood pellets. When wet they expand into sawdust. I used to put the pellets under my bin to soak up the leachate. It would also house any escaped worms. After it had been wet for a couple weeks i transferred it to the top of my worm bin. The worms never had any problems with it.

But you do have to be careful that the wood is not cedar. It has oils that can harm the worms.

o

mushroom substrate is probably going to be awfully acidic and contain lots of proteins. The only problem I can see is potential protein poisoning. If your worms start looking mutated and falling apart, that's it. I'd at least add calcium. Why not start a new bin and experiment? Just transfer some worms over. Or divide the existing bin and use the substrate in half and see if the worms go for it. If they don't, there is likely a good reason.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here