Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds

Posted by raqigirl California (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 10, 09 at 12:26

Three or four weeks ago we had acorn squash for supper. Of course, we put the seeds and "stuff" into the worm bin. HA! Now, every morning I'm pulling 20 to 30 sprouts out of the worm bin. I swear that if I didn't they would take over the bin and be lifting the lid off!

Is there anything I can do next time that will prevent the seeds from sprouting, as I hate to toss that worm food into the trash?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds

FWIW, anytime I have seeds sprout, I will just pull them, break them in half or shred them manually then toss them back in the bin.

Thanks,
JustPlainDon

o

Good idea. Thanks!

o

I suppose it depends on bin type in my rubbermaid it is dark and they never get far other wise I would just toss more bedding over it

o

Yup, pull them up and toss them back. If your concern is that these new sprouts are eating up the nutrients in the compost, tossing them back in ensures that these nutrients (most of em anyway) don't leave the compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here