Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do you use leaves in your worm bin?

Posted by hummersteve 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 12:59

Do you mix them with other bedding? Should they be refined in some way or used as they are ? Should they be wetted down or will they become wet enough with other materials.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do you use leaves in your worm bin?

Mostly, I just dump them in and wet them down. I'd love to have a leaf shredder, but that's not in the budget, and I figure that the worms will know what to do. In fact, they DO know what to do, and in a few weeks, you'll have black, loamy bits for the worms to swim in.

Whether you add water or not depends on your bin's current conditions. If it's kinda too wet, but 'em in dry. If it's looking for a little water, either spray the leaves once they're in the bin, or soak them down before you put them in the bin and let the water drip down.

o
RE: how do you use leaves in your worm bin?

You can pretty much do whatever you want with them. Mixing them with other bedding will prevent them from clumping. Either way, they will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here