Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beesee_gw

Questions about overseas

beesee
14 years ago

My husband just got a job offer in S. Korea. Even though it is one year contract, we may stay there for a couple of years or maybe longer, we don't know yet.

As soon as I heard the news, I was very happy that he got this wonderful job offer that he's been wanting but at the same time, I thought about the worms I have at home.

I got these worms two months ago, I went through my fair share of ordeals at first, which made me read this forum obsessively hours upon hours everyday.

I think I learned enough to know what to do now.

Currently I have about two pounds in 55 gallon flow through bin, copying Eric's design. My bin does not have deep compost/bedding material, but appears to be very healthy. I scooped out some layers, found many cocoons all over the place.

I know these worms became almost pet-like meaning I just love to see these elusive creatures. Even though I am an avid gardener ( Right now, I have indoor gardening going under the light with salad mix, lettuce, basil, even peppers and so son ) therefore fully understand the benefit of the earthworm castings, I would like to keep the earthworms just to keep them.

Now, I am faced with the situation.

If I can, I like to take earthworms with me. What I am thinking to do is the following:

Raise them until the last days of depature, which will be early March. Collect the worms, wrap them and put them in the large luggage bag (not carry out bag) which will be put on the airplane with me. At the same time, send the cocoons/casting part via ship which will take about 5 days to a week.

Leave the 55 gallon bin here in the storage room along with some stuff that we don't take with us until we come back to this country.

Would it work?

If this plan does not work, I will have to sell the earthworms and the bin to a good hand.

I guess you can tell that I really like to take the worms and cocoons with me if there is a way. I know I can start all over again there but my bin really gets going these days.

I welcome any advice.

Comments (4)