Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kivasgrandma

How much air do worms need?

kivasgrandma
11 years ago

Hello all,
I'm new to worm farming and this forum. I hope to get some helpful advice from you all.

Over the weekend I put together a homemade worm bin. I have a lot of mesh bottomed nursery trays -- the kind that flats of six-pack plants come in. The trays are rectangular about 11"x22" and maybe 2" tall. They are molded plastic with an open mesh bottom. My idea was that I would use these for the worm trays and make a stacking bin sort of like the Can-O-Worms system.

I found an ice chest at the local Goodwill -- the kind you would take camping -- that is exactly the right size to fit the nursery trays into. (I have to say that I was Very Excited to see how well they fit!). I drilled about 30 holes 1/8" diameter in the sides of the cooler. Now I have a nice insulated box to keep my worms in. The worm juice will be caught in the bottom of the cooler where I can use the handy drain to pour it out. The lid will keep the rain off and the critters out. I have it parked in the shade, since the sun can be quite hot here in California, even in winter.

I have filled up my first tray with partly finished compost, kitchen scraps and willow leaves. I loaded in some worms from a friend's bin.

But now I am having doubts that the worms will get enough air through just 30 little holes. Can you tell me how much air the little guys need?

Comments (2)