Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Steel Cut Oats

hummersteve
9 years ago

A while back I bought some SC oats for the first time . I didnt like the time it takes to get them ready to eat. So rather than waste it . I pulverized some and fed it to the worms just to see if they could use it and maybe even give them some needed grit and hoping it wouldnt kill them.. So Im wondering if anyone has fed them SCO.

Comments (9)

• armoured
    9 years ago

Let us know how it works. I'm guessing it'll go absolutely fine, won't kill them, although it's anyone's guess when the worms will get to it. YOu may not notice the worms eating the oats, but they'll decompose and worms will help process one way or the other.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The way to cook SCO quickly is, before you go to bed, bring four cups of water to a boil. Pour one cup of SCO into the water. Stir the oats in the boiling water for about one minute. Turn the heat of, put a lid on the pan, and go to bed. They'll be perfect in the morning. Scoop out however much you want to eat, heat it up in the microwave.

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

As I've repeated for 15 years, if it is organic, the wormies will safely eat it. If unsuitable (too un-decomposed) for consumption initially, they will....as armoured says....eat it when nature makes it ready.

This is so for all organic stuff. If unsure as to the organic-ness of something, throw it in the bin. If it remains uneaten (as would a rubber band, say), it ain't organic.

chuckiebtoo

• sbryce_gw
    9 years ago

As with any other grain, I would be careful about overfeeding. Heat and mold may be issues. But a small mount at a time should be fine.

• armoured
    9 years ago

Chuckie, while I agree with you, some stuff - wood, peachpits - can take so long that we wouldn't say they're worm food. That said, perfectly fine if that stuff is in there and ends up in soil.

This post was edited by armoured on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 12:19

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There seems to be a lot of worm activity in the area of the oats. But they may be having a problem using it. I would have to agree with the statement just a little of this stuff would suffice. Dont think I will add any more to the bins.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Im still seeing some oats in the bins but a lot of it is gone.

Its always fun to watch them or take peeks when I have put melon rinds in usually on one side then a couple days later peek under the rinds to see how many are there. Today I noticed what looked like a good amount of casting around or near the rinds. The 360 bins seem to be attacking the rinds more than the plastic bins for some unknown reason.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

If using oats I would think the correct amount would be a sprinkle. Maybe remove the top bedding, sprinkle and replace bedding. This would be more of a winter time activity than a July, August activity. Bedding of some type would also be involved as opposed to just sprinkling oats on top of a bin full of greens.

• greengrass12
    9 years ago

The way I use all grains is to mix them with other waste add a little water and microwave. I microwave to soften the food and to kill any beasties. I have found that the grains make the meal much more appetizing. I use old fashioned oats which the worms enjoy and doubt they are much different than sc.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz