Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just how dry or moist should the bin Be!

Posted by hummersteve 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 15:20

I for one do not have drainage from my bin but I have gotten a good bit of nice casting from my worms.

The other day I lifted my bin and noticed there was about maybe 1" of dry peat on that lid and I mean dry not moist at all yet I found at least two worms hiding in the mix maybe its just a recent thing. I wouldnt think they would want to be in that kind of dry mix.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
more on moist bin!

Im happy to say that my worms are happy , content , and doing their work constantly. both of my bins show this. Instead of seeing worms up on the lids in good numbers instead they are continually doing what I have set up the bins for them to do. So if I see an occasional worm or two on the lid , everything is still ok.

o
RE: Just how dry or moist should the bin Be!

Steve, I'm trying to picture 1" of peat on the lid. How does it accumulate that thick?

I did a harvest yesterday and I found the most eggs down in the wetter portion of the bin. Worms were throughout, to be sure, but the fattest ones were hanging out in the bottom, moister part.

o

I have a lid under the bin also to catch anything which is what I was referring to.

o

The only water i add to the tank for the 2 months before i change the castings is the 1/2 gallon of water to moisten the peat moss.

o

I like the way You mounted that system on the wall AquaponicsDave! It is a great space saver, but must be a little messy when you add that water ;)

Worms tolerate a WIDE range of moisture levels, as long as oxygen is available. They will not stay long in dry material.

Good luck!

o

Are you referring to my hydro system being mounted or the worms? Because the only water I've added to the worms was to dampen the peat. I keep my worms around 65 degrees

o

I think he's referring to the fact that your picture is sideways and it looks like your bin is mounted vertically instead of sitting on top of your clothes dryer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here