Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are this plants allowed?

Posted by rosfromcroatia (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 16:07

Hello

I am a newbie in vermicomposting, but willing to learn.
I live in the submediterranean climate here, and have some plants in my garden which I don't know if the worms will accept. I thought of grinding the branches/leaves/whatever and precompost them for a few weeks before adding them to the worm bed.
I am not sure of their English names, so I will post the Latin ones:

Laurus nobilis (very aromatic)
Nerium oleander (I know it's poisonous for humans)
Prunus laurocerasus
Hedera helix (and other hedera species)
Seaweed - I guess I have to "wash" the salt out, after that it should be fine.

I might get to other "unsure" material, and I hope I can ask for opinions again.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are this plants allowed?

Hello rosfromcroatia. I think worms will eat any kind of decaying plant material, including the types you listed. I even feed mine citrus and pineapple, which others do not recommend, and they are thriving.

However, yard wastes are generally better to compost in an outdoors, microbial-type compost heap, while kitchen wastes can be composted either in worm bins or outdoors. I don't have space for a traditional compost heap so I deal with yard trimmings similar to yours by shredding them with my lawnmower and then using them as mulch.

Hope this helps.

o

I have read somewhere, not sure if it was this forum or another one, NOT to feed the worms oleander, ANY part of it.
I don't have oleander, but I have Datura, also called Angel's Trumpet, Brugmansia, and any part of it is also poisonous. I do not put that in my worm bin, but the backyard composter. The volume of it is so much larger, but I still do not feed the worms with compost from there.

o

Useful information about the oleander. I'll keep that in mind.
Also, I know Datura stramonium to be abused by some crazy people as a drug. A guy consuming it died last year.

I will try the pre compost method with the other plants, and try to feed a small amonut to the worms. Hopefully, noting bad will happen.

cheers

o

Something to keep in mind, when you compost a material that has salts, toxic compounds, etc. you can be concentrating the levels of those items in your bin. Depending on how you're going to be using the compost, you may want to either be careful or at least be conscious of that.

The leaves, stems, etc. of a plant containing anything toxic would of course not be toxic to that plant so if in doubt you could still make use of that material by mulching it and letting it decompose around the plant it came from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here