Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

Sanity Check

mensplace
14 years ago

In the carport I have my red wigglers inside a large rubbermade container. Outside, I have a huge compost pile just full of compost, maunures, and all manner of vegetable matter. Is there any reason why I should not just put the contents of the container, worms and all, into the compost pile? By doing this the wigglers would have a natural environment to multiply. Too, it would enable me to begin work with growing night crawlers or the recommended Alabama Jumpers to go into the garden.

Comments (4)

• rom.calgary.ab
    14 years ago

Vermicomposting doesn't have to be done in a container. That outdoor compost pile does have some things to take into consideration like not being protected from rain, cold, animals, etc.

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

If you mean Canadian night crawlers in a container I don't think it works Seems like they don't breed I know they keep all right I have kept a bin going in the basement for a few years , but no increase of stock. I can not help at all on Alabama Jumpers I don't even know what one looks like lol. I think the best way to work it is to find out what draws the local talent. In my case Canadian Night Crawlers and local earth worms and build the soil for them. Red wigglers in your compost sure that should work.

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. With the cost of Nightcrawlers and Jumpers, especially being one of those older types living on a fixed income that the govt keeps chipping away, maybe I am better off just trying to attract them by providing favorable conditions. Organic gardening is great in so many ways, but all of the zillion "sure fire" "bonafide" miracle cures also get mighty expensive too. Re the wigglers, maybe I can just add a handful of them to the compost pile every now and then. I'd forgotten about the critters like the moles. The cat regularly brings them to the front door as an offering just to lat us know that every now and then she actually does something, but, she's a CAT, so I should feel truly blessed that she allows us to feed her, water her or whatever her need is every few minutes when she scratches at the door an looks up at me as though to say, HUMAN, DO this...and we are supposed to know what "this" is. At least, she reminds me that moles are out there and the would eat the wigglers! I put cabbage leaves, fruits, and corn meal out in my earthworm attractor, but then remem bered that the Night Crawlers and Jumpers would eat soil, but maybe not even care about my great idea for an attractant...too it would be a long crawl from Alabama to Georgia and even more so from Canada. I've never even seen a night crawler in Atlanta and at 70.00 a pound, I'm sure the neighbors yards would be just as attractive as mine. Need some kind of earthworm pheromone..kind of like the stinkbait the fishermen and deer hunters wear!

• mendopete
    14 years ago

My worm bin is the outdoor variety. I used re-recycled redwood 4x6 post laid on their side 3 teirs high (18") to form a 4'x3' rectangle. I built this in the shade and it has no bottom, but the top is covered with an old carpet and plywood in the winter to allow me to control the moister. I have several other open compost piles in addition to this. All kitchen waste and leftover ar damaged fruit, vegtables, and jack-a-lanterns go to the worms, the rest to the piles. I started this bin last june and just harvested about 10 gallons of castings, which I will use to make tea. So far so good!