Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

Can I Brine My Turkey In My Well Washed 5 Gallon Worm Bucket?

equinoxequinox
9 years ago

I only have a few buckets so each bucket can only do one of these things at a time. And my buckets keep disappearing so for my worm needs I have to keep stealing ones from other projects. I can't brine a turkey in a worm bucket but I can worm in an old turkey brine bucket. But that in itself is probably not a good enough reason to brine a turkey. But brining a turkey is a good reason to purchase a nice, brand new bucket... each... year. I measure my wealth in empty buckets I can put something into.

Comments (19)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Why don't you go to a grocery store with a deli or a bakery? They save buckets from pickles and icing and wash them and give them away.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Then your turkey will taste like bleach. Blech!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

chuckie I feel like that spinning turtle cartoon character. Your satire will be much appreciated here. As a matter of fact my post was specifically designed for it. Bucket, bucket, whose got the bucket.

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

This question, "Can I brine my turkey in my well washed 5 gallon worm bucket" is an age old one, and deservedly so.

Firstly, most people who brine turkeys do so in a container other than a bucket. Secondly, most folks don't have worm buckets...well washed, or otherwise. Lastly, most turkey briners would suggest to me that they are well-equipped for that task.

One possible alternative: They have those big aluminum turkey baster thingies....kinda like a gigantic frozen pot pie pan that you can get at those Dollar General/Family Dollar type stores that are, I guess, intended for the roasting of big birds.

Those pans probably cost less than the cleaning supplies you would use to clean the worm bucket.

However, if none of those alternatives are available, using the worm bucket will be OK if you don't tell anybody. It's kinda like the "5 second rule" when you drop something good like an onion ring or batter-fried shrimp on the floor and get it eaten in the accepted amount of time.

On a more serious side, never make light of the basting of turkeys. It's gotta be a really important part of Thanksgiving dinner preparation....unless you use the Char-Broil Big Easy greasless cooker (not an endorsement, but it is a really good cooker). Kinda like a human tanning bed.

Hope this helps.....

chuckiebtoo

• nexev - Zone 8b
    9 years ago

Thinkin here is that the salt in the brine will clean things up fine, no need to use anything toxic. Just picked up 3 more buckets for my catch and release program, had a heck of a time fighting off the hens as I exposed the area in order to place them and fortify verm sanctuary.

Cant use a bucket myself though as they are now thoroughly perforated, good thing we are going elsewhere this year for turkey dinner. The last 20 years we have hosted so this will be new. Do have a couple birds in the freezer though as we could not pass up on the sales. Now in a quandary as to how to prepare them since you have reminded me I have a hole in my bucket.

• pskvorc
    9 years ago

I can't brine a turkey in a worm bucket

Correct me where I'm wrong here, but weren't you the one trying to convince me that worms in an operating theater (as in medical operating room) was a "good thing" because we all know how only "beneficial" microbes are found in worm compost? To question using a WASHED worming bucket for ANYTHING that you would put in your mouth after asserting - vigorously - that "everything" worm is "good" seems a little - let's see, what's the word I'm looking for - that's it - "contradictory".

I kinda assumed you were being facetious at first, equinoxequinox, but as I continued to read, I began to wonder.

If this is actually tongue-in-cheek, 'good one'. If serious, then reconcile for me please the "disconnect" I seem to see in your position on your assertion of "only good microbes" in vermicompost.

Paul

• nexev - Zone 8b
    9 years ago

Maybe, just maybe there are two equinoxes? Just thinkin out loud here. Honestly, I think you will need to worry more about washing the salt out before pressing the bucket back into the service of worms.

I still have a hole in my own bucket so I am out on brining.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

oopsie!

This post was edited by grubby_me on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 17:47

• 11otis
    9 years ago

You mean like a eq2 with a split personality? :) Hence the "2" behind the eq?
    Back to brining, I thought one could buy a sturdy big plastic bag for that purpose, no? You'll need less liquid and easy to turn this way and that way. Plastic bags are what I use nowadays for marinating. To remove the liquid, just cut 1 of the bottom corners over the sink, bag goes in the garbage, no mess with washing after.

• pskvorc
    9 years ago

You always seem to have some very practical 'solutions', (pun fully intended), otis11. :)

Paul

• CarlosDanger
    9 years ago

My mentor, chuckyto, once told me that of all posters at this place, equitoxto was most likely to be pulling with your strings. He showed me many examples of the workings of this equitox person but said there was many things of dead serious about her postings.

I found this to be true. But the brine bucket I know little about.

carlos

• pskvorc
    9 years ago

Have no idea how two editions of the same post separated by yet another post, happened! Deleting second post.

This post was edited by pskvorc on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 21:53

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    Original Author
    8 years ago

"They see long-term medical possibilities in the idea of adding skin bacteria instead of vanquishing them with antibacterials..." "...How funny it would be if adding bacteria were the answer all along." " “It’s very, very easy to make a quack therapy; to put together a bunch of biological links to convince someone that something’s true,” "

I am still waiting for someone to write an article about spraying an operating room with good microbes in preparation for surgery. I have hope.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/magazine/my-no-soap-no-shampoo-bacteria-rich-hygiene-experiment.html?_r=0

• User
    8 years ago

Sure, why not? I'd even baste it with worm tea.

• chuckiebtoo
    8 years ago

I would be safe to say these people who would baste their turkey with the worm tea would change the minds at the last minute.

Carlos Danger

• socks
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is an old thread, but I'll reply anyway. I brined a turkey in a trashcan, but I got one of those plastic roasting bags that are used for the oven, very big, lined the trash can with that and put the brine and turkey in the can that way. I didn't want to brine directly in the trash can but felt ok about using a roasting bag intended for contact with food.

PS I would not consider a worm bin for 1 second!

• Don Elbourne
    8 years ago

yet we pull a carrot out of the horse manure fertilized worm infested garden, rinse it off, eat it, and think nothing of it.

• chuckiebtoo
    8 years ago

If I pulled the carrot from the horse hockey, I would hope the worms were infesting it because the worms will eradicate the harmfulness of the critters in there.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!