Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reminder: It's November 1

Posted by mbetts 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 1, 09 at 16:23

That means the jack-o-lanterns in your neighborhood are just about ready for the worm bins!
Go get 'em!

mbetts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reminder: It's November 1

Just divided up three of them between my 4 bins. They should be happy for the next week or two!

o

OMG my worms just devoured a (pretty rotten 6 lb) pumpkin in three days it was amazing!

o

Argggghhhh... just came back from my walk where I saw that a neighbor down the street has put at least three large pumpkins into a trash bag for pickup tomorrow morning. They weren't even carved!! My worms would eat like kings.

My husband doesn't want me to go back for it so I might just let him go to bed first tonight. :)

o

Is there such a thing as TOO MANY pumpkins?
I bought 3 when they were less than $2,- /ea and of course I picked the biggest ones. Didn't need to buy any. Yesterday I picked up 5 and today 7 and I have 12 pending. Their kids want to have a party first. Hope the pumpkins will survive that party (7).
I will freeze them good, thaw them and get rid of the liquid and refreeze whatever is food stock unless it gets so cold they can just go in the garage.
I just hope the worms won't get too spoiled after all these pumpkins and refuse their regular diet after all the pumpkins are gone, lol.

o

I wish I was over there to snaffle a few pumpkins. We don't really do halloween that much here in Oz.

o

Update: not quite 0500 and already have scratched off some of to-do list:

chorizo chili into crockpot -- check!
trash and recyc out to curb -- check!
steal neighbor's pumpkin-filled trash -- check!

They broke the pumpkins up a bit, at least they'll start rotting nicely for the worms. I can freeze or dehydrate any excess. What won't I do for the little guys, eh?

I'm becoming that crazy lady mom warned me to stay away from.

Marauder, wish I could toss a pumpkin your way. Halloween seems like something you Aussies would have a ball with, hope it catches on someday. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here