Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct food placement

Posted by hummersteve 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 16:34

Of course Im referring to nitrogen food as opposed to carbon. The only thing I have to go by is putting food in a corner as shown by countless youtube vids. But is that correct? Or should food be more spread out more evenly over the bin and what advantage would that give?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correct food placement

putting food on one side of a bin only is a good idea because it allows the worms to get away from it if they need too. Some worms are picky about what they eat. If they have nowhere to escape they will try to get out of the bin.

o

The worms really aren't that picky. I quickly gave up pocket feeding when I couldn't remember where the last pocket was. After that I only pocket fed when I was trying out a new type of food that might be questionable. I preferred to spread the food over the top of the bin, and like greenthumbzdude, I usually only covered half of the bin, in case the food heated up. I might still bury something, like a whole head of lettuce, if I did not want to mush it up first. Any way you do it, the worms will still be happy.

o

To clarify, I would pull the top layer of undecomposed bedding over to one side, feed the other side, replace the bedding to cover the food, then add more bedding on top of the whole thing.

o

I have read the archives back 10 years and do not recall this exact question ever being asked before other than 5 hours right before you posted this nearly identical question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here