Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

Is Using Volcanic Rock Powder a Good Idea?

Last July I bought a Can-O-Worms system to raise some redworms from a friend's daughter. She also sold me a bag of volcanic rock powder that is loaded with trace minerals. In small quantities it is quite expensive. What rock powders are best for the redworms? Where can I get this in bulk cheaper?

Comments (7)

• rom.calgary.ab
    14 years ago

Have not heard of using this powder, crushed rock, etc. for a worm bin. Some grit in the bedding can aid digestion but most advice has been to throw in a handful of soil from the garden to do this. The lava rock may do this but you don't need a lot for this purpose.

The trace minerals would be good in terms of adding them to the compost for benefit of the plants your going to use it for. Might be better to add this to the plants you're targeting rather than to the worm bin itself. Not all soils are deficient in certain trace elements and not all plants require the same ones.

The main benefit I can think of for adding this or others rock dusts and powders to a worm bin may be for PH balancing but I think you'll find that many have maintained successful worm bins without this.

Probably can't harm the worm bin unless in large quantities but the expense of it means it may be better used on the plants that benefit from the trace elements.

• steamyb
    14 years ago

Volcanic rock powder? So thas how ya make money with dem wurms.
    All I need now is a volcano!
    LOL
    Have fun with them worms!
    s

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I live in Central Florida and I don't have soil, just powdery sand. Do you think that sand would be enough grit? Someone suggested that I buy a bag of pea stones for grit for my chickens so they can pick out the little ones. Maybe that would be a cheaper alternative to the expensive rock powder. What do you think, anyone?

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

I'd go with the powdery sand, especially if you can just pick up a handful from the ground. There is no sense in paying for something when you have a perfectly good alternative for free. As for the chicken grit, just keep in mind that worms are a lot smaller than chickens.

• PRO
    CanAmaze VRP
    8 years ago

Westcan Marketing Inc. CanAmaze VRP “Soil Saver” remineralizes the soil releasing essential minerals and trace elements that plants and humans need to flourish. It is the ideal product for organic farming, conventional farming, orchards, vineyards, golf courses, indoor gardens and more.

CanAmaze VRP - Soil Saver

• hummersteve
    8 years ago

This is a followup to my previous post above on the coffee grinder.

Anyone ever buy any steel cut oats and find it was just too difficult to mess with. Well I bought some a while back and that was the case but I thought what the heck lets see what the coffee grinder can do with it. Enough talk heres the photos. Before and After

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery