Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worm_geek

Just starting out

worm_geek
14 years ago

Hello all my name is Daniel and about 4 months ago I started trying to make a worm bin based on the directions from this link. I started out using a much larger bin that stated. I'm rather sure its a 17Lt bin yes I know rather large for a starter but I have a much more grand project in mind using 55gal food grade drums. I was a bit dumb and didn't follow the full directions. I used a combination of peatmoss and shredded cardboard, newspaper, phonebooks, bills, ect, ect. At first I believe that my bin was too moist all my worms tried to escape and then nothing for months. From time to time I'd add vegi parts and fruit peels. After feeling like nothing was going on at all I went out to a spot in my yard I had tarped over with a 6x8 tarp. Went digging for some worms and maybe found 20 to 40 worms all cold and sluggish from the dropping temps here in NC.

So on to tonight: This is about 2 - 4 weeks after digging up the worms. I started flipping and digging through the bin because I wanted to see how they were doing. WOW is all I have to say those sluggish worms that were super skinny were now almost as big around as a #2 pencil and about 1 - 2" longer. Also while digging through the bin I found about 20 Black soldier fly larva in the Puparium stage. So far I've not had to add any water to this bin if anything its almost a bit too damp(However no standing/soppy water parts). The smell when you crack the lid reminds you of digging into fresh ground. So my question to all of you is what is your input on this. Ways I can make the worms multiply faster. Should I be worried about the Black soldier flys? Also I saw what appeared to be small flea sized white specks. Kind of reminded me of aphids/fleas should I be worried about these things(Can't find info about them online. Will take pictures of them if I can get my camera to take pictures of them)? I'd like to be turning over a bin the size I'm using right now start to finish in 3/5 months tops 1 - 2 months would be wonderful. Any ideas on this? I'd really like to get started on my fish in barrels project by the middle of spring. Which will require me to be running a 55gal drum or worms to keep a 55gal drum of fish going.

If I can post pictures here I will try to get some up of the soil quality, bin size, and worm size. Otherwise I'll just post links of the pictures.

Thanks in advance for all your help and knowledge,

Worm_Geek

Comments (5)

• steamyb
    14 years ago

BSFLs are dormant now (I am in NC also and I have them too).
    They are not a good thing in a worm bin, but can be removed by hand.
    Since you are new to worming, check out these sites:
    http://vermicomposters.ning.com/
    http://www.redwormcomposting.com/
    for some good info.
    Have fun with them worms!
    s

• worm_geek
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well thanks for your input on the BSFL because now I'm getting conflicting info because this site says not to worry about them at all. Would love more input. So what part of NC are you in steamyb? Myself I'm near Greensboro.

• steamyb
    14 years ago

Kernersville, neighbor!

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

Daniel, welcome to the wild world of worms & grubs. I agree with steamy and recommend you keep separate bins for worms & BSFL, which is what I've done. The grubs won't hurt the worms, but they can make the environment uncomfortable for them. If you have red wigglers (e.fetida), then they prefer the 70-77ºF range. BSFL prefer 85-100ºF. It's fine if you have a few grubs in the worm bin, but they can quickly dominate the bin if the conditions are right for them. Better to give them their own place. Feed the grubs all the waste the worms can't handle (meat, etc.) and everyone's happy.

It depends on what kind of fish you'll be raising, but there's a lot on the 'net about raising BSFL to feed fish, chickens, etc. I can post some links if you decide to go that route. Remove the puparium and put them in very slightly damp peat moss or coir. The flies will probably emerge in the Spring.

As for the worms, there are many factors involved in maximizing the rate of reproduction (again assuming red wigglers). I'll just mention 2: temperature ~70ºF and worm density between 1/2 - 1 lb. per sq. ft. of bin area. Did you say you have a 17 liter bin? But you also say it's larger than what was in the DIY link, so I'm not sure on the size of your bin. I think the reasoning is that if you put a few worms in a large area, they are less likely to find each other. Any idea how many pounds of worms you have? What are the dimensions of your bin?

Andrew

• worm_geek
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Andrew for your input. It was never in my plan to raise BSF or BSFL somehow they just ended up in my bin. Right now my heat is busted so I'm at about 60 - 65ºF so I'm sure my worms aren't super happy. As far as the amount of worms goes. I've really tried to do this project for as close to $0 as I can all the worms left in my bin I've dug up and am planning to sift through in the next day or to and remove the BSFL and just get rid of them. I'm just working towards a project of raising trout and or catfish in 55gal drums. I've checked out the sites that have been posted in this thread and I feel I need to rework the way my bin is made. I think it would be a lot better if I were to go with vents rather than drilled holes.

Once again to all thanks for your input,
    Daniel