Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Euro Night Crawlers

Posted by mr_yan none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 20:17

Well after playing with my bins over the weekend I am now convinced I have Euros in my two. I came to this conclusion after reading Bently Christie's Red Worm Composting page (the buy worms page photos specifically). The worms I have have the thick light pink clitellum and the rather yellow tails and also are getting large.

Over a month ago I bought three tubs of bait worms from the big box outfitter. These worms have been going strong for that month too. While moving these over I did find cocoons.

This weekend I divided my bin in half and placed half in a newly constructed DIY worm inn. My existing bin was a 5 gallon bucket.

While I would like to move over to red worms I don't have the funds in my garden budget to make a 1 pound purchase. Couple that with the fact that it is getting cold fast here in northern Illinois.

My goal for this is almost entirely VC for my garden but getting rid of kitchen scraps is nice too.

Does anyone think that Euros would work well in two indoor bins and grow the population quickly?

If Euros won't work any suppliers suggested for a small purchase of red worms?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Euro Night Crawlers

I have Red Wigglers (Eisenia Foetida) and I'd be happy to send you some - I have a surplus and I'll be splitting my bins this weekend. You can contact me at tracybarnowe@yahoo.com.

o
RE: Euro Night Crawlers

That's is incredibly generous Worms4Tracey. Look for an email from a comcast.net address.

Thanks
Mr Yan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here