Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what happened to my worms?

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 20:19

I had about 1000 red wigglers in my rubbermaid tub. I put new bedding in a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen any activity lately. I dug around and only found a small section that had some worms in it. What happened? I've always used neswpapers shredded for bedding.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what happened to my worms?

Is your RM tub outside?. When low-pressure weather systems come through worms like to climb? Maybe they left. If they died you would probably smell them.

o

How long has it been since you set up the bin and when did you add the worms?

o

The full moon right with the storm coincided with me finding a swarm of freshwater apple snails that had left the tank.

o

They are inside. I've had them about 2-3 years.

o

I'd like to know how do you add the beddings to your bin. Do you harvest whole bin, then replace it with bedding as if it's a brand-new worm bin?

If so, the worms may be in a shock because it's sudden change in environment so they may be grouping in particular spots at bottom level that is most comfortable for them and you're missing them.

If you're seeing new castings when you turn over the beddings, they're still around.

If you really believe your worms are dying somehow, you can "reharvest" the bin and sift through it to look for the worms but it'll disturb them though. So look for castings instead.

o

I use a small plastic trowel to move the stuff and worms around. I was told this wouldn't hurt them. We just use a few for fishing now and then and leave the rest alone. I don't remember seeing castings. How big are they?

o

This is what a pile of worm castings look like:
http://www.friendlywormguy.com/news/worm-beds-and-harvesting-worm-castings/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here