Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melenkolee

flea emergency!

melenkolee
14 years ago

Ok, so I found ONE flea on ONE of my 3 dogs and 1 cat tonight (poor amy). I've treated all with frontline, but because the cat is allergic to flea bites, I may have to bug bomb the house. I assume the worms will have to be evacuated during the event?

Sigh. 3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 fish, 1 turtle and a box o worms that may have to find warm haven for 12 hours. I'm assuming they (the worms) won't be able to withstand the poison, and I'm more whining than anything...the last time this happened I took them all to my office like a carload of refugees, lol...cross posting to the carnivorous plants forum cuz I have those too...

Comments (7)

• r3tic
    14 years ago

I would remove anything alive in the house before bombing.

• steamyb
    14 years ago

ONE flea?
    Mash it and go get a beer. You live in a zoo and are worried about ONE flea?
    Just kidding!
    Be sure to lock the door on the way out, after setting off the bomb!
    Have fun with them worms!

• melenkolee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol, I know it sounds like an overreaction, but if the cat gets just one bite he erupts in a skin infection and his fur falls out, which means a pricey trip to the vet...no fun for either of us! I only saw one, but stopped looking after that and ran for the frontline. Looks like I caught it early enough - no flea dirt or obvious bites, so I'm hoping a good cleaning and mycodex spray on all the carpets will fix the problem :)

And I LOVE my worms! Looking forward to my first harvest!

• steamyb
    14 years ago

My worms are the only "pets" I have ever had that earn their keep. All the rest are too much trouble.
    Harvesting is not fun.
    But 1 pound of worms will make 5 gallons of poo and 2.5 pounds of worms in 3 months. Consistently.
    And no vet bills or sitters.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

steamyb,

"1 pound of worms will make 5 gallons of poo and 2.5 pounds of worms in 3 months. Consistently."

This is good information to have, thank you. I have never heard it put exactly that way before, but I think it is just what people want to know all the time but don't exactly know how or what to ask.

I have read all of the worm boards and all of their archives, so I don't remember what exactly your setup is. Do you have a link to your method or could you put it in a 5 sentence nutshell?

"Harvesting is not fun." We need to change this for you. Harvesting should be fun. The funnest part. Actually never having to harvest would be even better. As in flo through. Unless you are harvesting to sell worms. I would want to tear apart even a flo through from time to time just to see what the worms were doing and where they were hanging out. Maybe a core sample would do but injure the worms.

What methods of harvest have you tried? What method of harvest did you settle on? Are you still experimenting to find one you like better? I am still experimenting with growing, feeding, housing, and harvesting. Trying to build a wild harvested population up to a pound, but I keep giving away half. What volume, maybe in cups, is a pound of worms? I started with half an egg shells worth, maybe 1/32 a pound. I maybe have an oranges worth now which I estimate might weigh half a pound.

Have you tried using a burlap bag or window screen of compost and letting the worms do the work of self harvest and drop down? Do you let the compost sit to harvest the hatched babies? I find I need to wait until the babies are big enough to harvest because they are so delicate. I let the vermicompost sit for a month before harvesting again. My garden seeds are started in vermicompost, so pure vermicastings are not necessary for me.

• melenkolee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

steamy, you're right...but they're not as cuddly ;)

• steamyb
    14 years ago

Ok equinoxequinox, here we go. HereÂs a link to my wormy stuff:
    http://vermicomposters.ning.com/profile/StevenBrewer
    Now I will try to answer some of your questions.

["Harvesting is not fun." We need to change this for you. Harvesting should be fun. The funnest part. Actually never having to harvest would be even better.]
    ___I agree completely with the last statement___
    What methods of harvest have you tried? All of them and they are all bad. Mixed results concerning abilities of removing worms from poo and all methods of harvesting require hands-on.
    A friend and I are working on a self-harvesting household flow-thru reactor to be used indoor or outside. The design phase is finished. This unit will work best for experienced wormers (those of us who donÂt dig up the worms every other day) and who are sick of (or have better things to do than) playing in worm poo. Prototypes and field trials are next.
    I personally feel that if we can eliminate the "yuck" factor to vermiculture, then everyone would want to have worms.
    And melenkolee...agreed, but cuddling can cost 'ya.