Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbararose21101

Worm Inn & Tubs

barbararose21101
10 years ago

Not only is the Worm Inn drier, it's too dry unless the moisture is attentively maintained. In cold, dry weather, weekly wasn't enough. I don't think anybody died, because the top was damp enough. That's the part I saw. However, compared to the tub, there were fewer new worms & they were on the top in that wet black denim. So a little more surfing for information informs me that eggs need to be wet to hatch.

So: The Inn gets wetter. I put a 5 gal bucket of water under it so that the bottom of the bag is IN water. I can monitor the water level from the outside. It's just at the level where the fabric changes. There is plenty of bedding: it's about 3/4 full. And there aren't a lot of worms. ( I started with 1/2 a lb of worms in April and the Inn has about half of what was in the tub in September.)

Another adaptation of the Inn: The bedding, worms and food are all in a piece of mosquito netting big enough to lift the whole content out.

The tub has netting too.

This is one way to keep the bed more evenly moist: Lift up, dump into another tub & invert.

The tub has way more worms.

Comment (1)