Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

Treats

equinoxequinox
10 years ago

Has anybody given their worms a bit of a treat recently?

How are they liking it?

Comments (13)

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

gave them watermelon rinds and they are currently all over it.

• hummersteve
    10 years ago

Watermelon -- they love it and it doesnt last long. During summer I cut up rinds freeze and save for winter treats.

• barbararose21101
    10 years ago

next feeding: squash, home grown buttercup, frozen, then pureed with other kitchen scraps.

• klem1
    10 years ago

I gave my worms a fruitcake and they used it for a doorstop.

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

Sometimes, I like to mix fruit and veggie diced up with some diced fish fillets just to give them a little revenge.

Chuckiebtoo

• carol_in_california
    10 years ago

Sweet potatoes......banana peels.......

• hummersteve
    10 years ago

Chuckiebtoo-- "diced fish fillet for a little revenge' love it.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Mine recently got kale stems, potatoes peels, some stale biscotti, and and a couple of ugly "crazy bread things" from Li'l Caesar pizza joint (yuck on both the crazy bread and the pizza). They deserved a treat so they got some grapefruit rind which they love and some pineapple rind which they also love. They ate the crazy bread in no time.

Oh, I fed them some apple peelings a few weeks and those darned things just aren't decomposing. How weird is that!?

• hummersteve
    10 years ago

Well this doesnt count as a "treat" but recently I gave them some leftover flapjacks. Its taken a bit of time but most of its gone by now. Not something I recommend.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I've given previous bins pancakes in the past, and they attracted mites like crazy.

Cardboard was a mite magnet for me too. Mites have been my bane for years, but so far I don't have any in my bin, and it's been over a year. Knock, knock

• hummersteve
    10 years ago

Yes I have gotten that too but arent some of those necessary to help the breakdown process.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I bought some fruit on the discount rack, 2 of which were mangoes to use for juicing. One was still edible, the other was pretty brown on the inside. And which I cut it open, the outer shell opened, so I have the little seed planted.

Anyway I just took the 2 halves and plopped them in the bin. I figure in a day or 2 when I check on them, the "lads" will all be having a party, doing the salsa, marenga, Mexican hat dance and other cool moves, in appreciation and excitement.

• hummersteve
    10 years ago

A couple of days ago I thawed out a large bag of watermelon. I cut them into about 2" sections and lined them up on the outer walls of the bins and if they wanted to get away from those areas theres all of the middle, but they are over the melon areas none seem to be in the middle areas.

To the person who referred to apple peelings not being used you might consider running that thru a juicer along with other fruits and veggies.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery