Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red alert! mass exodus

Posted by aelo (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 1:36

Hey guys, i need a little, or maybe a lot of help, i have a bin thats been up and running for 2 months now and up to now i dont belive we'v had a real problem yet, but i fed our worms yesterday (and everything seemed fine) and i just checked on them and i probably have 25-30 worm trying to leave, they are all piled up in abunch right against the wall near the top. The only thing diffrent is that when i fed them, i put the scraps right on top of a group of worms. I dont know if this was wrong or if our bin is gone sideway all of a sudden. If someone can help me out with what to do next to save our bin and worms that would be great.
Thanks All

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red alert! mass exodus

25 - 30 worms isn't a mass exodus, unless you only have 30 worms, but piling up in a bunch is the kind of behavior that suggests that they don't like something you've done to them. If you only have 25 - 30 worms out of 1000 or more complaining, then just give it time, and let the microbes work things out for you. If you have fed the worms something they have never seen before, they may be reacting to it, and you might want to remove it from the bin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here