Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimworcester

Diaper Composting

jimworcester
18 years ago

Or as we like to call them in UK, "Nappies".

Has anyone ever successful composted disposal diapers? I have bought somne supposedly biodegradeable nappies (Moltex) and have read that they can be broken down via vermicomposting. I have seen a drawing for a bin designed specifically for this purpose but have also read that it doesn't work. (The result, several hundred pounds of anarobic "bombs"!) I appreciate that the gel in certain types of nappy will always be difficult to break down and that the plastic tags will need to be cut off. But is there any reason why in practice given the right conditions nappies will not break down? Any experience good, bad or indifferent would be appreiciated...

Comments (8)

• trancegemini_wa
    18 years ago

Jim, I dont know the answer sorry, I was just shocked to see someone from England with the word diaper in the subject! what a relief to read your opening line in the post to clarify, for a minute there I thought the world had gone all topsy turvy on me, lol

• garotina
    18 years ago

No. I would not even consider place these diapers even as bedding for the bins. Wish there was a way of stoping these items from going to landfields? We can only hope!

Mean time keep the vermicomposting limited to veggie scraps, tea bags, coffee grounds, ..

Good luck

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

Folks still use cloth diapers, and flush the poo, and have a service come wash them, or wash them at home. There is NO need for the goo-filled plastic bags most commonly used to wrap children in!
    if youre using biodegradable diapers, it sounds like a distinct possibility!

I think infant poo would be the safest to compost because theyre not eating meat etc. yet. BUT, then you have to look into all the other issues with human waste composting. (thre have been debates about this, search "humanure")

• Anisten
    18 years ago

It would takes humoungous amounts of browns to stop the smell. I have tried with some cat poop in its own bin and the ammonia is enough to kill anything so no I would not recomended. Here in Canada we have diaper recycling services and they drop off new ones and pick up the old disposable diapers. No they don't get recycled into diapers but other industrial products and the cost was only marginally higher than buying in a store and you can purchase any brand.

• renais
    18 years ago

In my experience, composting diapers worked quite well, but did take a bit of time. I got a standard diaper pail, and just put the used diapers in. I would occasionally put in some kitchen scraps. When the pail was filled, or smelly enough, I dumped it under a small bush I was trying to help to grow. I wanted the material to get some sun to help the plastic parts of the diaper to degrade. In an amazinging fast time (probably 2-3 weeks), the loads were starting to degrade, and did not have an objectionable smell. I did no turning, watering, or any other messing with the diapers: just put them out there. We used standard disposable diapers, and had no problems with undegraded parts. The bush loved the treatment, and is now a very beautiful, much larger plant. Each time I see it, I think of the childhood of my children, and how they contributed to its growth. I highly recommend this treatment for diapers; just do it somewhere out of sight.
    Renais

• francis_marie_videotron_ca
    15 years ago

Actually I was wondering about buying disposable diapers as a cheap source of a water retaining growing mix additive . . . the diapers contain sodium polyacrylate, which can absorb 400-800 times it's weight in water. It's already used in agriculture and it doesn't break down too quickly. Might be a more cost effective growing mix additive than vermiculite or perlite.

• tclynx
    15 years ago

I would not do diapers or any other poo in a worm bin but I would do it in a humanure compost bin. Even through babies might not be eating much meat, there is still e. coli to think about. In a humanure compost system, pathogens are dealt with. If the diapers are truely bio-degradable then humanure is the way to go. It does take some extra "brown" cover material like sawdust and leaves but it works well

Here is a link that might be useful: TCLynx

• diane12
    12 years ago

DD had a reaction to the baby dry so we use huggies snug n dry or little snugglers for overnight and pampers sensitive swaddlers during the day. She's in size 2 diapers. When she's ready for 3, then we'll try pampers overnight.

Pampers coupons I Pampers coupon

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor