Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many worms should I order for 15 gallons barrel?

Posted by miss_may (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 1, 09 at 8:19

My new worm bin is a reclaimed, halved wine barrel. I believe it can hold 15 gallons. I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion about how many worms I should order. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many worms should I order for 15 gallons barrel?

Don't order too many to start- a couple of pounds maximum. They will reproduce eventually to fill the space. More importantly if you make any mistakes and kill off a large number you won't have wasted too much money. You're best adding food really slowly, seeing how much your worms can take. Get to know the biology of your system, and when you know how to look after them well, then buy more if you find you need to get rid of more waste. In general- 1lb of worms is happy in one square foot of surface area.

o

I agree with the first recommendation: 1-2 lbs. of red wigglers. The discussion below might also be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: How many worms to purchase for your home bin

o

Your container will accommodate a lot of worms, but you probably ought to base the amount of worms on the amount of food you will provide, too. How much food will you be giving them? A high density of worms in an established bin will work fine (and even best if managed well) if you have lots of food. If you have little food for them, like if you eat more meat than veges or get most of your veges frozen or canned (no or few scraps), then you don't want too many worms. In that case a pound will do you. As mentioned, the worms will multiply. It's easier to learn how to manage a bin with smaller numbers so that when you have higher numbers you are ready for them.

o

Bump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here