Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Lack of breeding activity

hummersteve
9 years ago

Not seeing much when I harvest. I may see a few new eggs but not many recently and hardly any of the new tiny red worms that I have seen in the past.

Comments (7)

• nexev - Zone 8b
    9 years ago

Possibly the cold Steve? Zone 6 in December might not be the most conducive to amorous activities.

Of course if they are in a temperature controlled environment that has not changed with the season then there is something else, Food/Bedding/Moisture, any changes in these?

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My bins are inside and Ive not made any changes. I try to do things the same way with the bedding consistantly. Im not aware of any changes.

• nexev - Zone 8b
    9 years ago

Maybe try some Barry White music.

That was in jest of course but then there might be something there. Sound or vibration is something they can be sensitive to. Washing machine nearby off balance or bearing going out, something along that line.

Sorry to hear they have lost there zeal to procreate though my feeling is that it will come back.

This does remind me of coming across some stuff lately about GMO products and infertility. Not sure if any of that stuff has been vetted by science but it certainly does sound plausible. An action against Monsanto may be in order to cover lost wormage.

• mendopete
    9 years ago

You are doing very well Steve.
    I seem to recall your last few posts describing how well your system was working. The worms were moving up like they read the directions and leaving you nice VC in the bottom tray. I also saw another post today that many of your pests have disappeared. Now you say no new babies and few cocoons.

I mentioned to you previously that I thought your bin had 'hit it's stride'. Your worm system may be at maximum density. They have quit breeding due to lack of additional space or food. Why bring more competition to the bin by breeding? Your bin will probably be mostly mature breeders soon. Also, this is probably why the pests have left. The worms are eating dinner too quick.

When things go right, every bin hits tis max density point. Otherwise you would have billions of worms in a few years. If this is the case, you can leave it be, split your bin and start a new system, feed your chickens, or give some away. This is a good problem to have.

Good Job and good luck!

• nexev - Zone 8b
    9 years ago

Ahhh, and thats where experience comes in. I had not thought of maximum population density (MPD) though that could certainly be the case considering your excellent memory of other recent bin updates.

I suppose MPD could be the holy grail of wormin.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pete

Thanks and Im sure you are correct about MPD. Currently Im not unhappy with the way things are going. But in one of my systems I could easily add another tray and may do this come spring. Worms are staying down where the food is never finding any on the lid. For a while I was leaving the lid off and only using a burlap sack as a covering but this method was allowing the bin to dry out quicker than I like and had to re moisten the shredded paper bedding more often so I re added the lid leaving a crack of about an 1" , its better that way less evaparation. I also like to sprinkle a mix of pulverized egg shells and cornmeal to the surface and find the worms like it too as I find them coming above the shredded paper to get it.

• FrancoiseFromAix
    9 years ago

MPD in the bin, and no more breeding activity.

And them little guys don't even have access to the pill or condoms.

Who can now pretend that they aren't brainy and we homo sapiens are ?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths