Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeinametronome

Are pomegranate peels safe for vermicomposting?

homeinametronome
11 years ago

Hello,

Are pomegranate peels safe for vermicomposting?

I have the African red worms.

I don't know if pomegranate peels are acidic...

Is there a complete list out there that says what is safe to compost?

Comments (11)

• JerilynnC
    11 years ago

If you are adding the appropriate amount of egg shells, acidity isn't a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google FTW

• 11otis
    11 years ago

Those pomegranate peels have a bitter taste; I don't think the worms would like them fresh. However, if you let the peels pre-rot, once they're mushy, it should be OK.
    Don't spread it around but keep it in a clump so it's easy to remove should anything go wrong.

• Shaul
    11 years ago

If you take a pomegranate and seal it in a plastic bag for a week until it's soft and moldy, then bury it in a corner of your bin; like oranges, grapefruit and other citrus, the worms will probably avoid it for awhile, until one day you look and they're all over it. Just not Pineapple. Though there are people who claim to successfully feed their worms Pineapple (just as there are those who claim to feed their worms Onions and Garlic), to my knowledge, Pineapple is a No-No.

Shaul

• JerilynnC
    11 years ago

Onions, garlic, brocolli, cabbage, cauliflower, pineapple, moldy cheese/yougurt/sour cream/cottage cheese, meat, etc. I feed it all, BUT I don't put too much in at any given point in time

• sbryce_gw
    11 years ago

I have said it before, and here goes again....

We put WAY too much emphasis on avoiding acid. The worms don't care. Really. Mine used to eat whole tomatoes.

• 11otis
    11 years ago

I agree with sbryce. As long as the worms have some place to go to avoid getting in physical contact with the "taboo" stuff, it will/should be OK. The MO in the bin will process that sooner or later and when they do, then the worms will move in and they'll be OK.
    I see it with the left over juice oranges. If that hurt the worms, they wouldn't be all over it. The condition of the oranges at this point is really really mushy.
    There must be some sugar content in oranges and tomatoes, we taste the sweetness. And worms love sweets, I bet.

• Shaul
    11 years ago

Oh Well, another No-No bites the dust. Though I do feed oranges, grapefruit, pomegranates and other acidic fruit (just not in quantity), I do remember the one time I put a chopped-up Garlic stalk in one corner of the bin. Didn't take more than 5 min. before every last worm was heading for the exit. Last time I tried that. Of course if my bin was 4x5 feet, I might think differently.

Shaul

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

"worms love sweets, I bet." agreed. I may try adding old chocolate. Real old or I would be eating it not them.

Regardless of if the worms should be eating pomegranate, you should be and the worms get the skin. Mine do. I never gave it a thought. If you eat healthy... your worms will too. Add tons of bedding!

Yeah, pomegranate and date, and fig and every other unique produce option out there. Especially white pointed baby coconut.

The fun thing about trying new produce is using the trimmingw for the worms.

• Shaul
    11 years ago

Mine also get Dragonfruit and I need to try Carob as well.

Shaul

• Veronica Glasson
    5 years ago

Dragon fruit is my worms’ favourite food.

• worldcomposting
    5 years ago

I have tested multiple things in a worm bin one of the keys is to add a buffer such as crushed egg shells to balance out anything that might be acidic. I even put lemons in my bin and they seemed to be a favorite food of the worms and within about two months they where almost gone.

First video of me adding the lemons:

Last video of what they looked like in two months: