Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saaak

What species of worm is better?

saaak
14 years ago

Red worms/wigglers (Lumbricus rubellus) or Brandling worms/manure worms (Eisenia foetida).

I read hundreds of mature worms can occupy 1 square foot of space. I also read 1 Lb. Manure worms can eat 1 lb of food scraps and bedding in a week given the correct conditions. ItÂs also said they will double in 3 mouths given the correct conditions.

I read nothing about Red worms only Manure worms.

Comments (16)

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

I think most people compost with EFs.

Under the right conditions, thousands of EFs can occupy 1 sq ft of space and eat 1 lb of food and bedding every day for every pound of worms. In a typical home composting system, expect 1000 to 2000 EFs per square foot and about 1/2 lb of food eaten per day per pound of worms.

• saaak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So I need to buy Brandling worms/manure worms (Eisenia foetida) then to vemicompost then RIGHT?

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

There are other species that will work, but EFs seem to be the best all around worm for most situations.

• saaak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Does (Eisenia foetida) feed on everything that humans eat like meat and dairy? I know they will eat kitchen waste (vegetables and fruits). I know they will eat plant material from outside because in the wild they would.

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

Probably best to avoid meat & dairy. Here's one set of guidelines...just a starting point. You can adjust once you learn more about vermicomposting.

Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful: Feeding Your Worms

• saaak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The advice posted by forestelves says I can compost meats and dairy. I went to the FEEDING YOUR WORMS and they say worms don't like citrus, but I see citrus posts on the vemicomposting forum. There was even a recent post on citrus too.

forestelves says he has 2 bins one inside and one outside and the '"outside for meat/dairy and any Fridge waste and the other one is for kitchen, plant waste (outside and inside the house), and some dairy."' (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg110510212920.html)

On (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg120525245555.html) they say feeding citrus to worms is fine and ok for the worms to eat.

So, who is right and who is wrong?

I search "citrus", "feeding citrus", and "meat" on the vemicomposting forum.

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

There are differing opinions, and different systems.

In general, citrus is avoided, because there is a chemical in the rind that is toxic to worms. After the rind has decomposed, that chemical breaks down, and the rind is no longer toxic. I have fed oranges to my worms with no problems. The oranges are ignored by the worms for a few days, then the worms move in and have a feast.

Likewise, onions are avoided, but my worms eat onions with no problems.

Meat and dairy will putrefy as they break down. The worms will probably eat them, but you will not enjoy the smell.

Everyone's system is different. Some people's worms won't eat citrus or onions, others will. When in doubt, put a small amount in one corner of the bin, and see how the worms react.

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

saaak, there are many variables in vermicomposting systems, so what might be "right" for one system could be "wrong" for another. I think it's safe to say most people with small worm bin systems avoid feeding meat & dairy. I've accidentally thrown meat into my regular compost bin (which has worms in it) and later found worms happily processing the remains, so I don't think there's necessarily anything toxic to them in older decaying meat.

Andrew

• stevesd
    14 years ago

I feed my worms everything, but in moderation. Meat and dairy, no problem, but I wouldn't put a whole roast in there. Citrus is not a problem. Thats an old wives tale. Onions are not a problem, but they will smell a little. See it is not a problem for the worms, cause as far as I know they don't have noses. But when a human worm herder opens the bin and smells an onion that has gone off, they immediately panic. The worms don't care. They love onions. Just one other thing..In case you like to fish, I would strongly recomend some euro's. They are larger than ef's and are a very good fishing worm. They also eat very well and reproduce as fast as anyone needs. great worms all in all. Just in case you like to fish. have a great time with your worms. steve

• Katxena
    14 years ago

You'll see all kinds of lists of dos and don'ts for feeding. I think it's better to think of some foods as "easy" to feed (those on most "do" lists) and some as "hard" to feed (those on most "don't" lists).

Anything that was born or grown can be composted. The issue is whether the humans who have to live with the composting process want to deal with the side effects (usually smell) or want to go to the effort to mitigate those side effects (processing differently or burying or having an outside bin, etc.). The stuff that is hard to feed usually requires some mitigation efforts.

What matters is what works in YOUR bin. Everyone's bin is different. That's why you see conflicting accounts in the forum. Sbryce's and Stevesd's advice about testing with small amounts and working in moderation are good, and will help you learn what your bin needs to thrive.

• african
    14 years ago

I agree with sbryce, what works in one environment, will not necessarily be best for all and worms will eat just about anything - but seem to have their preferences. You should select the best worms for your environment with a little care - consider temperature and other issues, but I'm uncomfortable with the first worm you mentioned - Lumbricus rubellus - as this one is suspected of causing damage to northern forests in the Americas. As an "invasive alien", its habits are not at all in synch with the native environment, when it inevitably "escapes" from the compost you put into your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Worm Dictionary

• tobytub
    14 years ago

Going back to saaak's original question - is their any merit in using a cocktail of different species of compost worms in one bin?

• african
    13 years ago

Some people do mix species to accomodate temperature changes over the year - but I'm not sure if they really do any better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mixing Species

• tobytub
    13 years ago

Don't they hybridize?

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

Different worm species will not breed with each other. There are no hybrid worms.

• tobytub
    13 years ago

So mixing worm species in your bin makes sense. In your cocktail some will come to promenance in warmer weather and when the cold slows them down, the others prosper and take over. Red wigglers (Eisenia fetida) for the warm seasons and lumbricus rubellus for cold? Is that it?

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia