Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matthebrute

new composter a couple quick questions :)

Matthebrute
12 years ago

hey guys/gals. i recently tried to start a outdoor compost pile but the weather seems to be holding me up so im thinking about thatsting a worm bin indoors.

I am going to buy a good sized rubbermaid container and drill holes in the bottom. i will set it on the lid to catch any runoff i may have and drill holes throught the bin for airation.

i also have a metal screen with 1/4 inch holes i was thinking of using this for the lid with something opaque to block light like a black trashbag since the cover will become a drip pan.

ok onto the question!!

1) can i buy trout worms from local store to get started (not nightcrawlers) they are a red colored worm and they are a bit smaller than a crawler, just not sure if they are the correct kind of worm.

2) i have a TON of dead leaves and old hay that i gathered for my outside bin, can i use this in conjunction with some of the matter in my outside bin for the worm bedding? i will also be using some carboard and i plan on running it all down with my lawnmower to get a chopped up material.

3) we just cleaned out the fridge so i have a good amount of waste but not sure if i can use it. there is some cream cheese and chip dip mixed in along with carrots mac and cheese and coffee filter/grounds, also some egg shells and eggs

4) if i can use the trout worms how many should i start with, they come 24 to a container. i really dont have alot of money to get started and am hoping 1 container will due the trick but i dont want to short it and not get my desired results, i know more is better :) wich leads to my next question

5) will these worms reproduce and how fast will they make offspring?

thanks in advance for your help, i know with a bit of searching i can probally answer all of these questions but i figured a helpfull experinced member could help me find all my answers in a much shorter time

Comments (7)

• sbryce_gw
    12 years ago

Using the lid to catch runoff may not be adequate, depending on how well you manage the moisture in the bin. I would use the lid as a lid, and use a second bin to catch runoff. Put some sort of blocks (I use the bottom 4 inches cut from a 2 liter pop bottle, 6 of them) in the lower bin to hold the upper bin up, so it doesn't get stuck in the catch basin.

1) We have no way of knowing what species the trout worms are. We can't tell you if they will work.

2) Yes, use the leaves and other stuff from the outside bin as bedding. Just keep in mind that you will be bringing in a host of critters with them. Those critters would probably find their way in eventually anyway. Mixing in hay MIGHT cause it to heat up. If it does, let it cool down before adding worms.

3) Cream cheese: no. Chip dip: no. carrots: yes. Mac and cheese: no. Coffee grounds: yes. eggs: no. The rule of thumb is no meat, fats or dairy. If you start with partially decomposed leaves and hay, etc, you won't need to worry about feeding the worms for a while.

4) A typical indoor bin starts with about 1000 worms. Fewer, if they are all adults. Composting worms are sold by the pound.

5) The worms will reproduce IF they are the kind of worms that live in a bin environment. Worms typically double in biomass every 3 months. So figure a year or longer to reach the 1 pound worms that most vermicomposters start with.

• Matthebrute
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok great, i wanted to start my endeavor today but looks like im going to take a little timne to setup and get it done right, ill trash my current kitchen container with the dairy products in it and start fresh, i dont want it to smell.

thanks for all the helpfull replies it is much appreciated.

Matt

• rookie09
    12 years ago

I have all types and sizes of bins and would suggest that you start with a small, cheap bin if you are on a tight budget and not wanting to start with a lot of worms. Cat litter boxes, ice cream buckets or other types of buckets. This way the worms that you want to be close (reproducing) will be in a smaller area and you haven't spent money on a container. Don't put holes in it for drainage; just don't overfeed them. Now when you overfeed them - everybody does - stuff corrugated cardboard down the sides to wick up the moisture and now you have more worm food. My 2 cents. Good luck.

• patrick1969
    12 years ago

As stated above, if those 24 worms are able to become one pound in a year's time, you can be feeding around a half pound a day in a year. That's painfully slow. I would try to find someone in your area that is willing to help out with starter worms. If you want to go free (except time) you can get 5 gallon pickle buckets from places like Burger King and build my 5 bucket stack system. It's an easy to build and maintain system.

• 11otis
    12 years ago

patrick, I'm very interested in your 5 bucket stack system. Couldn't get the link to work. Could you pls. re-post it. Thanks.

• patrick1969
    12 years ago

The link was misbehaving, but should work now :) Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

• morgan_3
    12 years ago

Matt, as you can see there are all types of containers which can be used to vermivompsot, however I would dito the rookie09's advice about rookies not drilling holes in their bins. The liqour which comes out of an over moist vermicompost container can be rather foul.

There are plenty of easy recipes for making "worm tea" to feed your plants, and plenty of tricks for controlling the moisture in you bin(s).

Rubbermaid is expensive compared to the 30 gallon plastic tubs which have worked just fine for me. I have been using these since they came on the market, and never drilled holes in them.

Prior to the plastic tubs I had wooden bins with corrugated metal bottoms. These bottoms had holes, which was recommended when I started. After ruining a hard wood floor I went to fiberglass tubs and eventually the plastic tubs.

From my four 30 gallon tubs I collect around 60 gallons of "spent media' each year for my seed starting and potting mixes. I simply remove about a half inch of dried material from the surface of the bins about twice a week before trench feeding the worms. I never cover the bins, instead I keep a two bulb fluroscent light on top of these bins. 24/7.

Tip: Soak the cardboard in a large trash barrel before tearing it up. Much easier than trying to mow it, and you still have to soak it.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting