Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jake_l

Worm Retailers?

jake_l
14 years ago

Where can I find a large quantity of worms? It can be online or in stores.

Comments (12)

• forestelves
    14 years ago

Go and Google red worms or wigglers. We can't post stores it's a violation to do so. Sorry

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

You would have to define "large quantity."

Often if you want a large quantity, you would have to buy from several suppliers over time. Nobody wants to deplete their own breeding stock to fill an order.

• jake_l
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Large quantity will be around 2000-5000.

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

2-5 lbs. of red wigglers is not considered a large order. There are many worm sellers that can easily sell you that. The cheapest source is not necessarily the most reliable. If you browse this forum and other vermi forums you will come across many accounts of bad experiences with worm sellers. Some short the weight or send you unhealthy worms. The link below covers only a small fraction of worm sellers, but at least it's a start. You might want to google a sellers name before you order and see if any reviews turn up. There are many very good sources for worms, so there's no reason to buy from a source that has bad reviews. Try to find a local source if at all possible. That way you can actually see what the worms look like before you pay money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm suppliers

• forestelves
    14 years ago

plumiebear your advertising for other companies, and giving a site called vermicosting.com link that tells of companies that sell worms.

jake_l ask for a trade not to buy because that's a violation, so is just paying for ship of an herb your trying to get, or get advise for companies that sell good worms. Google "Garden Watchdog" and click daves******.com then search "Worms" and find there ratings.

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

If you think there has been a violation, contact the site owners. Yes, I have managed to get people removed from this forum before.

But I don't think what we have here is a violation.

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

forestelves, I'm not advertising for any company. The link goes to a discussion about buying experiences with dozens of worm sellers. The site you describe is a great list of worm sellers, but the ratings are sparse and some very good sellers are not even listed.

There are so many worm sellers today. Some of them are definitely suspect operations and forums like this can be helpful in sorting out the good from the bad. I know a system of anecdotal reviews can be abused, but that's probably the best we can do.

Please read gardenweb's TOS again. I don't see anything that states I can't mention sites like vermicomposting.com. (I assume "vermicosting.com" was a typo on your part.) The site you mention has been banned apparently because of a history of problems, but that is the first time I've been blocked from posting a link.

Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb TOS

• fam62cc
    14 years ago

I have bought from Unco Industries here in Racine for quite some time. I have always been satisfied and I think they could fill most any order.

Dave Nelson

• marauder01
    14 years ago

Hi Jake,

I bought 4000 from a place here in Aust a long time ago, and with hind sight, wouldn't bother again.

What I'd do, (and am doing) is start a couple of totes (100-200 worms each), and run them for 6 months. You will have well over 1000 worms in each one in that time.

Of course, a little patience can't be bought. LOL

Good luck.

PS I have a little spreadsheet that I use to calculate worm breeding. If you'd like a copy, I can email it to you. So far, it has proven fairly accurate. :-)

• forestelves
    14 years ago

This forum needs to be posted on [Rate & Review Vendors] where it's legal in a sence.

=No advertising is allowed in any of the forums=

Here is a link that might be useful: Rate & Review Vendors Forum

• 11otis
    14 years ago

forestelves:
    will you please, please LIGHTEN UP!!!
    Advertising is one thing and helping a fellow vermicomposter with information is another.
    IMHO the kind of advertising that is not allowed is if one is in anyway connected to the company.
    I have trouble finding DE, calcium carbonate and nematodes. So in your opinion, NOBODY is allowed to tell me where I can get these things.
    This is what a forum is for! I am thankful that someone posted that the nematode can be bought at HOME DEPOT (there, I am saying it out loud and I don't own Home Depot) and they are called Pink Lady or Red Lady or something like that, I don't remember.

So if you need any info where to buy something, don't post the question in any forum OK! Especially not this one!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

An Advertisement:
    Buy my Red Wigglers the Cadillac of Worms.
    One pound for $50 at 555-555-2368.

Not
    An Advertisement:
    I bought Red Wigglers the Cadillac of Worms.
    One pound for $50 at 555-555-2368.

My worms:
    work for Acme Corporation
    drink Heisler Beer
    smoke Morley's
    and fly Oceanic Airlines