Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long can worms survive

Posted by hank2230 Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 13:38

I will be going away for 2 or three months. My worms are in 18 gallon rubbermaid tubs. I have been away shorter periods of time and they all survived and flourished.

Do I need to have someone come in once a week or so to dampen the tubs or will they live without this help.

Tubs are from 1/2 to 2/3 full and I do not wish to lose them so have considered just giving them away to someone just starting up farming. I hate the thoughts of parting with them but if necessary to insure their survival I would.
Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long can worms survive

hank2230: My two cents: A great time to harvest and let the cocoons hatch while you are away. Little gals and guys will eat less. A great time to share your worms far and wide. Statistically maybe one out of three first timers will do well and the other two not so well? The sucessful can share some back with you when you return. I'm trying to guess how long a bin can do well moisture wize without drying out or excess food melting into too much goo. Maybe once every three weeks? Maybe try a multi prong approach. You said binS so you can try a few different methods. On vacation I miss my worms way more than they miss me.

o

Ditto to equinoxequinox and I would add finding a 'local' worm sitter.
http://vermicomposters.com/
This map shows wormers from all over the world, so maybe someone close to watch the squirm for you.

o

Do you have access to a cool basement. Up here we can keep worms in a container all winter (6 mo.) with just a little food by putting them in a cool 40-50 degree corner. If it gets a little dry they will ball up to keep moist, but I have never had them get that dry over winter due to the low temperature.I have also never tried it in a basement with a dehumidifier running

Curt

o

Thank you eqnxeqnx, steamyb, curt grow.
I appreciate all the ideas but I believe I will try curts advice. Thank you all.

o

Gosh I forget about mine for months at a time they really seen happier that way anyways with nobody bothering them

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here